Tuesday, March 10, 2020

That's Not How the Mission Went

That’s not how the mission went
We were fine
Everything was good
We get to the other side
Of where the crater was
And all of a sudden
I’m alone

I’m alone
And you’re calling for me
And I can only hear out of this ear

My hearing in my right ear
Came back two days ago
But it was gone until then
And nobody knew why

My vision is now 20/20
And it never was before
And you’re telling me
That I’ve always had vision this good
But I have records
I have proof
That I used to have glasses
I used to wear--

I wore glasses
From the time I was eight
Until I was given special permission
To go up with the other guys
Even though I had visual impairments
Because John vouched for me
And said it wouldn't be an issue
Based on the tasks I was going to be given

Now John is gone
And you’re saying
There never was a John
And that the mission was a solo mission
And that I never got anywhere near the crater
That we never even landed
So what are you saying?

That I made up John?
That I made up Chris?
That I made up the other guys?

Chris had a wife and two kids
Where did they go?

Chris was from Patch Valley, Ohio
And now you’re telling me
There is no Patch Valley
But I kept the postcard his little girl gave him
Before we all went up
So what--you think I made it myself?
Up in the atmosphere?

You know what I had up there
And you know I didn’t have anything
To make a postcard with
Or take a photograph of--of--

Of a town that you’re saying
Doesn’t even exist

I was willing to go with your whole
Crossing through some kind of portal theory
Until you started changing the narrative around
Saying that I show no signs of any portal exposure
But that this whole mission
Was just me and my thoughts up there
And not the other guys
When they all carried me up that crater
When I hurt my leg

Now my leg is fine
But I keep whistling a song
And I don’t know what it is
And I keep asking singers
And composers
What’s this song?

And nobody knows

You’re telling me I just made it up
But I never made up songs before

I know who I was before
And I wasn’t some guy
Who made shit up
But now you’re saying I have to be that guy
Because you don’t know
What the fuck I’m talking about

You’re saying the mission
Was a big success
But it’s only a success
If you made everything else
Specific to a success
And not the story
I’m talking about
Because we lost all those guys out there
And then somehow
You find me unconscious
In the ship
When you sent the next team up

How did I get back onto the ship?

I couldn’t even move
And then there was the explosion
And the guys flying over my head
And that song I’d never heard before and--

How did I get here?

And why am I the only one
Asking these questions?

I thought I’d be answering all the questions
But none of you even care
And you want me to be glad
That you don’t care
And I think that’s--

I’m sorry
But that’s really
Fucked up

Why am I the only one
Who wants to know
What the hell

Is going on?

No comments:

Post a Comment