Thursday, March 5, 2020

The Last Time I Saw Richard

I went to see his wife
Figure skate
But she had stopped
A few years ago

Outside the rink
In the January air
I thought about what made me
Get to somebody
Years too late
But when I added it up
It tracked with the rest of my life

The party was always long over
By the time I showed up
With my bean dip and pretzels
And I’d lost friends time and again
Because months would go by
Without me thinking
To check on them

But Richard was someone
I kept meaning
To inquire about
And all I could remember
Was the wife skated
Down near Callachee
So down I went
Only to find out
That only person there
Could recall her name

While I was standing outside
A guy came out and joined me

He was there with his nephew
And he said he had a few hours to kill
While the nephew trained
With some Russian woman
Who got thrown out of the Olympics
For doping

The guy asked if I wanted
To grab a burger and I said ‘Yeah’

Twenty minutes later
I was telling him about Richard
And how Richard was
And how I hadn’t talked to him in years
And that even now with the Internet
You could still stay off the grid
If you really wanted to
And Richard was one of those guys
Who either really wanted to
Or just up and died
And I didn’t even know about it

I ate my burger with the tomatoes
Falling out of it
And I didn’t worry about looking good
To this man who was trying
To win me over

My game ended a little bit after Richard
But this poor schmuck didn’t know that
And I wasn’t about to pass up
A free burger

The nephew’s uncle asked me
What I was doing the rest of the day
And I told him I spend my days
Spending money that’s not mine

He laughed, thinking I was being poetic
But I’m no poet
And the money I mentioned
Was what came to me
After a small settlement
From a car accident
A few years back

I was going to run out any day now
But I wasn’t trying to save
Because the more you save
The longer you live
And I wasn’t interested
In living that long

I just wanted to talk to Richard
One more time
Before I shuffled off
But my only lead
Was a figure skating wife
And it looked like
She might have kicked the bucket
A long time ago too

Sometimes I forget
How young I’m not
And even then I tell myself
That people are living longer
All the time

Outside it’s unseasonably warm
And the smell of beef
Puts me in a good mood
Even though I’m supposed to be
A vegetarian

The nephew’s uncle
Offers to drive me back to the rink
But I have no reason to return
Other than that being
The last place I was

So many people
Go back to where they were
Just because
They’re not sure
Where else to go

I’m not sure either
But when I’m not sure
I go east and keep going
Until I get a bright idea

About an hour into walking east
I got hungry again
And remembered
That Richard used to make
The best burgers

Better than any I’d had
In a long time

I wondered what else
I’d forgotten
About him

And while I tried to remember
All I could do

Was forget

No comments:

Post a Comment