Sunday, March 1, 2020

Let's Get a Drink

Let’s get a drink


Let’s get a drink
And I can tell you about
The project I want your help with
Or the person I need to meet
That you know
Or get the thing you have
That I want


Let’s get a drink
Let’s get some food
Let’s sit down
Let me get something
Out of you


Two years ago
At a party
I saw you
And I thought--


Nothing there
Nothing there for me


And truthfully
I agree
That it would be
More beneficial
If I could be
The type of person
Who spots the ability
In others
To help me
But you see
First I need you
To help others
And to establish yourself
As someone
Who can be of use
To others
And then people like me
Who can’t really be bothered
To discover potential
Will notice what you’re doing
And then get in line
To find time
To buy you
A drink


Let’s get a drink


Let’s talk about what you think
I want to know what you think
Now
I want to know now
Not now as in now
But now as in--


I didn’t before


I didn’t care before
Before you weren’t someone
I had to care about
Or whose opinions
I had to care about
But that’s changed
And that’s great, isn’t it?

I mean, you couldn’t have expected me
To care before
Before now


But now?


Now you’re on my radar
And my radar
Is a great place
To be


So many people
Would kill
To be someone
I want
To get a drink with


And I don’t even know
Who most people are


I try not to be aware of too much
Or too many people
Or what’s going on
With people
Other than one or two
But you
You are someone
I am very interested in
And I want to hear
What you think
You can do
For me


I want you to think big
I want you to think outside the box
I want you to think of all the things
You’re ready
To bring to the table
And then bring ten times more
To the table


Bring so much to the table
That we have to get three more tables
And lots and lots more drinks


Let’s get drunk
On all the talk
And pitches
And ideas
You’re going to throw at me


Let’s get you and I
Together in a way
That would make
Even the most famous partnerships
Green with envy


Let’s order a round
Then have you
Go round and round
Telling me everything you love
About the idea
Of you and I
Working together


And then once you pay the tab
I’ll get us a cab
If people still get cabs
And you can drop me off
And go home
And hope
That I’ve decided
To let you do something
For me


God, are you lucky
I mean
Really
I would kill to be
As lucky
As you
Are about

To be

1 comment: