Saturday, March 28, 2020

A Little Break

I was planning on coming home anyway
But then Rich called
And I went ‘Okay’
And then I didn’t want to come home
But where was I gonna go?

I have, like, thirty-five bucks to my name
And I can’t stay in the dorms over break
Because they’re deep-cleaning them
Or they just don’t want us there
I don’t know which it is

You can apply for some kind of waiver
But then they put you up in this off-site housing
That sounds really sketchy
So I just said ‘I’ll go home’
And Rich was relieved
Because his dad bought him a ticket
To go to Mexico for break
As, like, a birthday gift
Even though his birthday isn’t until September

‘You think my Dad knows when my birthday is?’

He’s lucky
He got the rich dad
I got the one that calls me at four am
Asking me if I’m being followed
By a guy in a red hat

Lately I’ve just been sending it
Right to voicemail
And I’m wondering when
We’re ever going to speak to each other again

Mom’s been laid up in bed
And Rich didn’t want to leave her alone
Plus he knows he’s shit at taking care of anything
That’s always been my job

I can get her to eat and shower
But I can’t get her to do much more than that
And on a good day
She manages to tell me
What she wants from McDonald’s
And I run and grab it
With a credit card that’s almost maxed out

When I ask her how she lost this job
She tells me the economy fucking sucks right now
Which, you know, isn’t true
But if Mom even knows who the President is
I’d be very surprised

She spent the eighties partying
Dragging me and Rich from town-to-town
Guy to guy
Said she was home-schooling us
But all that meant was she’d drop us off
In a library
Every morning
And come back a few hours later
Asking us what we’d learned

I liked to read
Rich didn’t
So he would wait until she took off
Then leave and go walking around the city
All by himself

It’s a miracle he wasn’t kidnapped
But I guess nobody gives a fuck
About kids
If their own parents don’t give a fuck
About them

I give Mom her lunch
Two cheeseburgers and a small fry
With a Diet Coke

Then I take my usual place on the couch
And put on MTV

Seeing all the kids my age on spring break
Should probably depress me
But I’d be lying to myself
If I said I could see me out there
On a beach
Drinking
Not having a care in the world

There aren’t enough substances
On the planet
To make me forget
Who I am
So I might as well just remember
And deal with remembering

I look for Rich while the music plays
And the camera scans the crowd
But come to find out
He got a stomach bug the first day he got to Mexico
And spent most of the trip
Attached to a toilet
At his hotel

When this week is over
I’ll go back to school
And put back on the mask
I’ve been working on
Ever since I left home

Rich goes somewhere local
So Mom will become his part-time problem again
Until she gets a job at a nursing home
And ends up being really fucking good at it
To the surprise of everybody
But especially her

Pretty soon, she’s dating a nice guy
And living in a nice place
And weeks like the one
Where I had to hold the cup of soda
Up to her lips
And beg her to drink
While MTV played in the living room
Are like something
That happened to the family next door
But not to us

Never to us

Sometimes you want to remember
Those moments
Just so you can feel lucky
You’re not there anymore

But sometimes when you do
Instead of feeling lucky
You feel shame
For ever having been there
In the first place

That’s why it’s risky
To look back

Because when you do
It never seems
Far enough

Away

No comments:

Post a Comment