Tuesday, March 31, 2020

What Looks Like a Boat on a Deserted Island

I’ve thought just about everything
Was a boat

I saw a piece of driftwood
Floating on the ocean
And I waved and screamed
And then eventually
Got brave
And swam out to it
And it was driftwood
And I was so upset
I nearly drowned
Not because I forgot
How to stay afloat
But because for a minute there
I lost the will to do it

Now when I see things
I see them without hope

First no hope
Then hope
But I haven’t gotten to hope
In a long, long time

I haven’t hallucinated yet
But I’m looking forward to it

I’d love to see one of those little bars spring up
An oasis
A place in the middle of the trees
Where there are people
And cocktails
And conversation

I don’t care if none of it’s real
It would just be nice to know
My brain is trying to protect itself
Or keep me entertained

The other day
A dolphin came up
Out of the water
And I thought it was a submarine
But I didn’t hope
And so when it turned out
To be a dolphin
I was just happy
That it was a dolphin

Then a shark sprung up
And ate the dolphin
And then a whale came up
And ate the shark
And then the whale wound up beached
On the sand
And I ate it
Over the course of a few days
Before the rest of it rotted
Under the Pacific sun

I had a fire
And it tasted like cod

My dad used to make cod
And cheeseburgers
And he liked making cheesecake
And I don’t know why

I don’t know why cheesecake

My mother didn’t make anything
But she would let us eat
Whatever we wanted
And she was the one
Who taught us
How to swim

The other day I thought of my mom
And tried to draw her picture
In the sand
But it just looked like sand

My mother was a very permanent person
And that’s probably why
She doesn’t lend herself to being granular

An hour ago
Something that looked like a boat
Was on the horizon
And it still looked like a boat
Even as it got closer
And closer

Finally, it made it to the beach
And I walked up to it
And it was empty
But it was still...a boat

I got in the boat
I got out
I didn’t trust it
I didn’t trust--

I didn’t hope
For it to be
What it was

Because so many other things
Had looked like boats
That weren’t

And if you get in a boat
And it’s not a boat
And you take it out
Onto the ocean
You’ll drown
Because you think you’re in a boat
You think you’re held up
And you’re not
You’re not held up by anything
But your own delusional

So I got out of the boat
And I pushed it
Into the water
And pushed it again and again
Until it was back on the water
And that night
I went to sleep
And when I woke up
The boat was gone

Was it ever really there?

I don’t know

But the picture of my mother
In the sand
Looked a little more like my mother
Than it had the day before

Isn’t that strange?

I find it very

Strange

No comments:

Post a Comment