Thursday, March 12, 2020

Nebraska

He was nice
Until he wasn’t

I had a piece of candy
In my hand
And he told me
To hand it over

We were young
This was when we were kids
And we were friends
We played together

He told me to hand over
The piece of candy
And I didn’t feel like it

It was my last piece

But something in me
Said to just give it to him

So that’s what I did

Now I think about it
What it was in me
That backed down
That day

I wasn’t one to back down from fights

I had two older brothers
And an older sister
Who was tougher
Than the other two combined
And if you wanted anything in my house
You had to put up your fists
And wrestle for it

I fought for way less in my life
Than one piece of candy
If you can believe it

Now I let more things go
But back then
It didn’t take much
To get a shove out of me

But something said
Not to do it
And you know
I don’t know if he would have
Done something to me
Had I pushed him
But I knew he sort he was
And now I think--

Could I have straightened
His ass out?

One good beating
And maybe he would have
Turned out
A different kind of way?

Or maybe I would have been
Victim number one
On his list

Maybe he would’ve
Come back and found me
Over that piece of candy

The first guy he shot
Wouldn’t sell him a stuffed animal

That’s all it took

The older I got
The more I thought about him
And all those people he killed
And I thought about how
I should have laid into him that day
Or I thought about how lucky I was
And that made me even angrier

I’d be out at a bar
And see a guy looked like him
Next thing you know
I’m grabbing him by his shirt
And knocking him around
For no reason at all

One time I started up
With a man at this truck stop
And he pulled a knife on me
And I thought
Well, this is it

I finally picked the wrong fight

All these years later
I’m finally going to get
What’s coming to me

Then the guy wiped the spit
Off his mouth
Put his knife away
And walked

I was yelling at him
Telling him to come back
Fight me
That he was a coward
A punk

He didn’t stop walking

I went down on my knees
And cried out
Like he’d stabbed me

Deep in my gut
I felt the knife

But it was just me
And that other kind of pain

The pain you can’t work out
Because you don’t know it’s name

The trucks went by me
While I knelt there

Wheels going
Engine going

Everything going
Right on

By

No comments:

Post a Comment