Monday, March 16, 2020

Ferris Bueller and the Breakfast Club

You’re all just going to sit here?

Just because the principal
Told you to?

What kind of characters
Are you?

You’re supposed to be teenagers
In a movie

A MOVIE

I guess if you were tv kids
Then I could understand
Sticking around here
Just to save money
On multiple sets

But this is a MOVIE

And you want to spend all of it
In DETENTION

SATURDAY detention?

TALKING to each other?

. . . . . 

TALKING to each other?
Getting to KNOW each other?

What’s there to know?
You’re teenagers

Within the first twenty minutes
Of this movie
You all should have busted out of here
And had your bumbling principal
Chasing you all over town

And there should have been something
Involving an art heist
Or a diamond robbery
Or some idiotic thieves

Maybe a trip to the zoo
I don’t know

But anything would be better than--

Do you have any idea
How BORING this movie
Is going to be?

Are there going to be flashbacks
Or anything?

Are you guys going to have a dance sequence
Set to--

Okay, you’ve gone of those?

All right, that’s good
That’s SOMETHING at least
But I mean, still--

Where’s the parade?
Where’s the hijinks?
Where’s destroying your best friend’s dad’s car?

These are BASIC plot points
And all you want to give me is
Cookie cutter character development

Why would you go to the trouble
Of putting Molly Ringwald
And Judd Nelson
In the same movie
If you weren’t going to give me
An 80’s teenage rom-com?

Do you have any idea
How funny those two are?

I mean, they’re not
They’re not funny at all
They’re actually very dour people
But, I mean, ANTHONY MICHAEL HALL?

He’s hilari--Okay, he’s not very funny either

Ally--No, no, you know what?

I’m talking through this now
And I’m realizing that a talk-y
Introspective
Melodramatic fishbowl movie
Is exactly what you all
Should be doing
So…

...Carry on?

I guess?

Just, uh, you know
Talk about how your parents
And how they hit you
Or don’t talk to you
Or how you disappoint them
Or whatever

That’s all way too womp womp for me
But if you all want to come visit my movie
We’re going to do this thing
Where we bust somebody out of school
By pretending to be--

It’s very funny
Really hits you right in the funny bone
Which I think we could all use
Right about now

Not that you all aren’t useful, but--

Anyway, I’m going to take
The rest of the day off

But keep up the good work

I hope you--

Okay, Molly’s crying
I’d better go

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment