Monday, March 23, 2020

Sir Edmund Hillary Comes Down

On the way down
I thought about silverware

I thought about flat
Unpolished silverware

Sitting neatly next to a plate
Untouched

A plate with food
Untouched

A plate in front of a person
A person, not eating
Not hungry

Me, that person
That person being me
Sitting there
Making polite conversation
With dinner guests
About the summit

About the greatest moment
Of my life
And everything
That came
After

Can I live on this high forever?
Can I stay up at the peak?

Will I forever be the man
Who tells the same story
Impressive though it may be
Until people start walking away from me at parties
Start casting eyes downward
Start asking what’s next for me
As if anything could be next
Anything
After

On my way down
I thought of how
I would be forgotten

A name in the newspapers
Then in the history books
Then no room
New explorers to fit in
New people climbing Everest every day
So why is it so special
Just because Edmund did it first?

Will my great-great-grandchildren know
That they’re connected to me?

And if they do know
Will they care?

Should I have carved my name
On my way down?

Should I have left a message?
A token?
A flag?

What proof do I have after this
That I did anything special
With my life

All I’ll have is the slipperiness
Of memory
Leading back to my point of pride
Only to disappoint
When a detail disappears
And then another
And another

Old age will rob me of the accomplishment
And when I die
They’ll muster up some compliments
That nobody bothered to tell me
When I was alive

But before that
There will be silverware
And delicate food
And kind women
Who wish to hear my thoughts on things
That have nothing to do
With mountains
Because they aren’t all that interested in mountains
But as a man who has done something
Surely I must have opinions about things
That people actually give a damn about?

But I do not

On my way down
I thought about falling

Dying on the way up
Is a tragedy
But dying on the way down
Seems...appropriate

You did what you came to do
Why bother trying
To do anything else?

A pot boils on the stove
Dessert is served
The untouched food is taken away
And a server asks
If there was anything wrong with it

I tell him there’s nothing wrong
But I’m lying

The food looked delicious
It looked beautiful
Too wonderful to consume

How could I?

How could I pick up the silverware
And devour it all
Knowing it would never be there

Again?

No comments:

Post a Comment