Sunday, March 22, 2020

The Church Secretary

She just barges right in
Like she owns the place

And she doesn’t
God does

He’s the landlord
Last time I checked

But the best part is
Once she’s in
She doesn’t move

She just stands there
Looking at us
Like we were supposed to move

Like we were going to put our clothes on
And act all ashamed

The last time I checked
I was a single woman
And the last time I checked
The priest is a single man
Because he has to be
Because he’s a priest

And the last time I checked
A man and a woman having sex
Is just fine with the Lord
Provided they’re married
And we’re married in our hearts
So I don’t see the problem with it

What I do see a problem with
Is a woman
A full-grown woman
In her late-sixties
Standing there
Watching two people
Have at it on a beautiful, hand-crafted desk
For what had to be at least two minutes
Before she clears her throat
And lets them know she’s there

Something wrong with that
Let me tell you

The last time I checked
She was not the sole owner
Of this church
Just because she’s church secretary

She’s a secret-keeper
That’s what her name means in Latin
And as such
She should be better about keeping her mouth closed
But everybody knows she’s not
Because she is, in fact, the biggest gossip
In the whole town

So I just knew she was going to try
Starting trouble over all this
And the last time I checked
The Lord does not look kindly
On those who start trouble
When trouble wasn’t called for

Father went to put on his pants
And I stopped him right there

I said, ‘Father, I haven’t been in this position
For over fifteen years
And the last time I checked
If you haven’t had steak for a good, long while
You don’t send it back to the kitchen
Just because the chef
Didn’t cook it just how you wanted it’

He didn’t know what the hell
I was talking about
But that’s probably because
He couldn’t hear me
What with that secretary of his
Running screaming through the church
Like she never saw two a-dults
Doing the beast with two backs

Or maybe that titless troll
Was just beside herself
Getting a glimpse
At what I had going on

You’d think she be thrilled
That with all the priests in the world
Who like to eyeball innocent children
This one is only interested
In consenting ladies

I admit it’s not ideal
To have a priest who ain’t chaste
But nobody’s kidding themselves
Into thinking all these men
Lose their libido
The minute they put on a collar

I suppose the secretary
Might have been kidding herself
But then again
Last time I checked
She’s good at that sort of thing

She kid herself into thinking
Everybody would believe her
When she went around saying
Me and father were bumping uglies
On his desk
Ten minutes before mass

But nobody did
Or they did but they didn’t want to give her
The satisfaction of their belief

Either way she resigned
Due to stress
And Father and I had our little arrangement going
Every Sunday for years
Before he finally resigned from the priesthood
And made an honest woman out of me

I know it’s not the prettiest story
But the last time I checked
Nobody cares how something goes
Only about how it ends

And I’d say this was
One happy little ending

Wouldn’t you?

No comments:

Post a Comment