Sunday, March 15, 2020

The Despot's Favorite Singer

I don’t know anything about his politics
I really don’t
And I’m not interested to know

My grandmother was a singer
Just like I am
And my grandmother sang
For some of the best people
And the worst people
You’ve ever heard about
Or haven’t heard about

She didn’t ask questions
She sang

It wasn’t her job to ask questions
They paid her to sing

They pay me to sing
And to smile
And to make people happy
And I can’t be worrying about
Who believes what
And who’s done what
While I’m singing

Worry ain’t good for the voice
You understand?

Neither is air-conditioning
So as long as you keep me cool
I don’t have a problem with you

I’ve had problems with people in my life
For other things
But I let ‘em go
I forgive
I forgive because I was raised in the church
And the church taught me
To let God deal with punishment
I just need to deal with forgiving

And singing

I used to sing in church
And the pastor would touch me
On the small of my back
And say ‘Good, good’
Under his breath

‘Good, good’

And he was a bad man

He wasn’t a despot
He didn’t persecute people
He didn’t oppress

Not in big numbers anyway
Not in a way that’ll put you
In a history book

But he was bad

And I sang for him

I sang knowing what I knew
And everybody knew
And we all sat there
And people to listened to me
And him hearing me
Didn’t have anything to do
With them listening
And enjoying it
Do you understand that?

They needed that music
From me
From anybody they could get it from

And the music didn’t sound any worse
Because a bad man
Was hearing it alongside them

Now I’m singing for a despot
Because I’m his favorite singer

I’ll probably sing for tyrants
Before I’m done

And it’s not an endorsement

They get a mouthful from me
When they ask for an endorsement
So they don’t ask anymore

They just ask me to sing

And when I’m singing
All I’m thinking about
Is a little girl
In the crowd
Or the room
The theater
The auditorium
Listening to me
And maybe she’s got a bad man
That she’s gotta find the strength
To live with
To survive
And maybe I can give her a little
Of that strength

Cause the way I always looked at it
In my case
Was that I wasn’t singing
For that pastor
For that bad man
I was singing over him
I was singing and casting that music
Up, up and over him
Right up to Heaven
And to any angel
That needed to hear it
To let them know
That I was still going
That he hadn’t got me yet

I sing and I think of the girl
I was back then

Then I turn to the bad man
I’m singing for
And a lot of them are bad men
Even the ones you don’t know are bad

I turn to them
And I smile
And they think it’s for them

And they’re wrong

But you know
Men like that
They’re wrong
About a lot

Of things

No comments:

Post a Comment