Monday, March 30, 2020

All the Boys in Calvin Klein

I was working at the refreshment table
And nobody would come anywhere near me
Because people weren’t really eating
In the early 90’s
Let alone models

And you had all these boys
In Calvin Klein

I was nineteen
So I was about the same age
As most of them
If not younger

Two weeks after I got to the city
From Wichita
I got this job
Handling the food
At some of these modeling shoots

And this is when every modeling shoot
Involving men and men’s clothing
Featuring barely legal young guys
In white Calvin Klein underwear
Even if the clothes weren’t Calvin Klein
And even if nobody was wearing
Any clothes

It was the same shoot
Day after day

My girlfriend back home was named Polly
I’m not joking
And, uh, we were going to get married
Once I made enough money in New York
To move her to the city with me
At which point I’m sure we would’ve been
The Joe and Harper Pitt of the Bronx

I had this little apartment
And a neighbor named Jupiter
Who did tarot readings
And cooked for me every night

Life wasn’t all that bad
Except for the fact
That the life I was walking towards
Was the life I wanted
To run away from

One day I’m at a shoot--

And--I have to say--
The models never talked to me
And it might have been because
The model’s didn’t snack
And it might have been because
I had acne and a weird haircut
And I did not look anything like
Anybody else in the room
Not even close

--But one day one of the guys talked to me

This really nice guy
Beautiful, right?

He was--

He had been at a few other shoots
He was really in demand at the time, I think
And he walks up to me
And starts to make conversation
And my heart is--

I couldn’t even--

I don’t know what I said

I gave him my name
I think I said something about how hot it was
Outside, not the, uh, you know, situation

He was very friendly
And then right before
He had to go back to work
Being gorgeous and making money for it
He asked if I wanted to get a drink
After the shoot
And I think I said ‘Flerg mashpea’
Or something like that
But he nodded
And I nodded
And I listened to the name of the bar
And what time
And then he walked back over
To take some more photos
Next to twelve other guys
Who were all better looking than I was

And that day
After the shoot
I got on a bus
And I went back to Wichita

I never met him for the drink
I never, uh…

But when I got back to Wichita
I broke up with Polly
I came out to my family
And a few months after that
I met this really wonderful guy
At a supermarket
Of all places
And we moved in together
And we’ve been, uh, pretty much inseparable
Ever since

And last week
This guy, who I love,
Who’s been my entire life
For almost thirty years

He walks into the bedroom
Wearing a pair of Calvin Klein underwear
And, uh, he’s my age, you know
And neither one of us is--

We’re not models
We’re--we look our age
And our bodies--look that way too
And, uh, he comes in
And all he has on
Are the Calvin Klein underwear
Which I’ve never seen him wear before
And I look at him
And I smile
And he sees me smiling
And says ‘What?’
Kind of with a laugh
Like the laugh you laugh
When the person who loves you
Looks at you with that
‘You’re really very beautiful’
Kind of look

And that’s how I was looking at him
And he said ‘What?’
And I said--

‘You should be a model’

And, you know, I meant it
I really meant it

He had on those Calvin Klein’s and--

They never
Looked

Better

No comments:

Post a Comment