Friday, August 16, 2019

Born Alone

I’m born alone
Which sounds--

You hear it

It’s something
People say

We’re born alone
And die alone
And I think that just means--

There’s a moment
When you come
Onto this planet
Where
Even though
Somebody has their hands on you
And your mother and father
Are looking at you
And crying
And everybody’s so happy

You’re alone

Because you have no connection
To any part of humanity yet

You’re of humanity
But you’re not connected to it
Not really

And when I look ahead--

Although I’m prone to believing
That looking ahead
Is a bad
Bad
Idea

--When I do look ahead

I see that it’s the same way
When you leave the earth

The first thing that goes
Even if you’re perceived
As being
Of sound mind
Is your sense of understanding

But--But--

That’s not a bad thing

It’s a--

In fact, it’s a marvelous thing

Because understanding
Or, the attempt
Because it’s only ever really
An attempt
At understanding
So many of the the things around you
And that attempt
It does something to you
As a human being
It’s a good thing
That--that attempt
But it’s work
It’s hard work
And when you die
You let go of all that
The work
Because you’re granted
A kind of--universal understanding
And you become at peace
With all the things
You thought you needed
To understand
But couldn’t
And shouldn’t
You know?

And when you’re born
When I’m born
It’s the same thing

I’m not trying
To make sense
Of anything

I’m just crying
Because there’s so much
Going on
And so much noise
And the moment
When I’m left alone
Actually alone
In a room with just--

With just other newborns
Like myself
I finally feel like--

Now I can start

I can start the process
Of being silent
And letting the world
Talk to me
To tell me
What it is
I need to know

But it doesn’t
And it does

It’s silent
And in the silence
I learn

I take it all in

We agree
That there’s energy
On the earth
That’s been here
Since the dawn of time
But we think that energy
Is only present
In activity
And not in moments
Of stillness

And there’s--

I have to tell you
There’s great energy
In stillness

Powerful energy

There’s something
To being alone
So it’s--

It’s nothing to be afraid of

Not really

Your whole life
Every time you’re lonely
What you think is the result
Of being alone
Is really just
The result
Of too much

Too much coming into your--

Into your life
Your being
Who you are

And if you could push it all away
And just have that moment
Like--like in the eye of a storm
You’d be--

Well, you’d be living
In as much grace
As anyone
Ever has

But it’s difficult

It’s--

It’s easy
At the beginning
And at the end
Because you’re so willing
To just let yourself
Be powerless
But every other time--

It’s probably
The hardest thing

In the world

No comments:

Post a Comment