Monday, August 12, 2019

Born Away

I’m born in a hospital in Athens
Where my parents are vacationing

Something about it
--The birth

It spooked my mother
And she wouldn’t leave

She wouldn’t leave Greece

My father didn’t know what to do
But his wife was hysterical
Saying she wouldn’t leave
That she wouldn’t go back
To America

And then she wasn’t hysterical
She was calm
She was calm and still saying
That she wouldn’t go back
And somehow
That was worse

So…

She didn’t go back
My father did
And that’s how I’m born

I won’t make it back to America
Until I’m ready to go to college
And by then
It’s this weird phenomenon
Of growing up in Europe
Speaking Greek
With a mother who spoke American
And not just American
But New England

A father who came to visit twice
Before I was ten
And then just gave up

A part of me always wanted
To see the place
My mother never wanted
To go back to

There’s this thing, I think
Where everything you parents
Speak about in hushed tones
Becomes a fixation
For their child

When I don’t get into any American colleges
Because I’m a terrible student
Who spends more time
Smoking and going out at night
I buy a plane ticket anyway
With money I save
From the birthday cards
My American grandparents send me

When I get to America
The first thing I’ll notice
Is the smell of motor oil
When I step outside the airport
To hail a taxi

All I know is that my father
Lives next to a college
Where he teaches Intro to Marketing
And when I find him
He claims he never got my seventeen emails
Letting him know I’d be coming
And all he’ll offer me is the couch
In his basement

Laying on that couch
Looking up at my father’s
Mold-stained
Basement ceiling
I thought about geography

There I was
Thousands and thousands
Of miles away
From the only home
I’d ever known
And I thought--

I still don’t feel
Settled in my skin

So many people
Are born like me

Somewhere they’re not supposed to be
And convinced
That it’s all a question
Of winding up
Somewhere else
To make them feel
Like they’ve figured it all out

At eighteen, I don’t have the insight
To figure that out
And truthfully
I won’t have it
For years and years
But at least at that moment
I know what I have to do

I get up off the couch
I quietly exit my father’s house
And I start walking

I walk until I find a hill
Overlooking the city I’m in
And I try to imagine
The world
Being a million times
Smaller than it is

It would have been easier
With a map or a globe, but--

Sometimes a lit-up city
In the dead of night, it--

Well, it can look like
The whole world

It can look like
Whatever you want it
To look like
If you look at it

Just the right way

No comments:

Post a Comment