Monday, August 19, 2019

Twenty with a Blind Man

Somebody gave me
Twenty years
And said--

Do with it
What you will
Young man

Because at the time
I was still young
And thought
Time
Was a little throw-around
A little toss-about
A little fair play
For those of us
Who thought
That sidewalk chalk
Was just for hopscotch

I took that twenty years
And I gave it to a blind man
Because he told me
He wanted to live to see
The other half
Of ninety-three

And I thought it would be funny
Which is why
I did most of the stupid shit
I did back then

Somebody gave me twenty years
And my mother asked for ten
Because she wanted to see
My baby nephew graduate
And I said ‘Sure’
But it was too late

See, the blind man had his years
And I couldn’t get them back

I tracked him down
Two towns, three towns
Four towns over
And there he was
Living well
But ready to drop
When the clock
Struck out

The years
The years
Weren’t mine
To give

But I didn’t believe
That they’d get you to live
Just far enough
To take a crack
At the time you thought
You’d never get back

They say time is a circle
But no, it’s a sphere
And this is what you do
With a brand new year

You give it away
To a kid too dumb to know
That he’s the dog
In the pony show

I could have split that twenty
And given half to my dad
Who went down
In Molson’s Hardware
Fifty-eight
Not bad

Not for guys who grew up
Where I grew up
But still too soon
When you remember
I got twenty
I got twenty
I got twenty to spare

But I had nothing left
In Molson’s hardware

The blind man he lived
But he still couldn’t see
So what could he do
With a dumb kid like me

He could convince me
That time is a give-away
Fling-away
Push-away
Kind of thing

Hold too tight
You get burned
Loosen up
You lose touch

Give me twenty more years
And it’s still not enough

Because I’d give my brother fifty
Then I’d give him fifty-three
I’d never want to see a day
When he goes
Before me

I want to be the first to exit
Because I handle death the worst

See anything that’s a gift
Has in its nature
The traits of a curse

So give me all your years
But make sure I’m last in line
That’ll be fine by me
‘Cause I gave away
All my

Time

No comments:

Post a Comment