Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Bye Bye Bye

I still can’t believe we did it
But we got on the bus
And went to New York

We were--

This was--

We were fourteen
At the time

Which is not--

I mean, no, though
It is
We were children
When you think about it

But we heard NSYNC were going to be
On TRL
Performing ‘Bye Bye Bye’

So--

I took my birthday money
And my friend Jess
She took her bat mitzvah money
And we bought the bus tickets
The guy at the counter
Didn’t even ask where our--

Oh--that was the other thing

We had to walk to the bus station
Which was, like, I think--

It had to be five miles
From our school

We got to school
We got off the bus
And then we just bee-lined
Down the street
Towards the bus station
And on the way there
We stopped at this pay phone
And I called out Jess
And she called out me
And the lady who worked in the office
She was like ‘Cool’
And then we got on the bus

Pretty much
I mean that’s the gist of it

And we made it to New York
No problems
Except for this guy behind us on the bus
Who was clipping his toenails
The entire time
But like--

I’m just realizing
This is probably not a good story
I mean, I thought it was when I--

Never mind

We get to New York
We have no idea where anything is
We’re fourteen
This is TERRIFYING
And then we’re like--

Okay, let’s just ask someone

So we ask someone
Where TRL is
No joke
No lie
That’s how we asked that question

And I think the person we asked
Was, like, a saint or something
Because they gave us
These perfect directions
To get to Times Square
And the directions were--

Walk that way

And then we were there
We were in Times Square
And we made it in time
For TRL

And we get there
And I say to Jess--

Did you tell your mom
You were coming to my house?

And she was like--

Yeah, did you tell your Mom
You were coming to my house?

And I was like--

Yeah

And so we think everything is perfect
And it turns out
That NSYNC was going to be there
THE NEXT DAY

We had the day wrong
Well, Jess had the day wrong
She was the one who got it wrong
I thought all along it was the following day
But it wasn’t, like, easy to look this stuff up back then

But we did get to request ‘Bye Bye Bye’
Which was pretty cool
But then when we got home
We forgot that we had been on, like, television

And my stupid cousin
Told my aunt
And she called my Mom
And we were so busted
But not dead
And I think my Dad was even, like,
Kind of proud that I managed
To get to New York and back
Without any major issues
But, like, he would never tell me

And now I’m a surgeon
And, like, I’ve operated on people’s brains
And stuff
But still--

That trip?
To New York?
With Jess?

Biggest thrill of my life
To this day

The biggest thrill

No comments:

Post a Comment