Sunday, August 18, 2019

Born Quiet

I was born quiet

I cried
A normal amount
But nothing more
Nothing more than that

I don’t stay quiet
But I’m born quiet

There’s a moment
Where my mother holds me
And she wonders
How on earth
She’s going to keep me safe
Until the moment she dies

And then she thinks about
What’ll happen
After she dies

Will I be safe then?

Assuming she can keep me safe
Up to that point
Which, statistically
Is actually not that likely
When you think about
What the word ‘safe’ means

She can’t stop someone
From cutting me off
In traffic
And ruining my day

She can’t stop
Someone I love
From not loving me back

She can’t be there
To block every unkind word
And nasty remark

There are so many things
She doesn’t have
The slightest bit
Of control over

And I’m quiet

I’m looking up at her
Moving my arms around
Kicking my little feet
Making every beautiful
Baby noise
Any baby
Has ever made

But all it adds up to
Are some gurgles
And hiccups
And what might be a sneeze

Other than that
I’m quiet

She thinks about all the staircases
I’m going to have to walk down

The cars I’m going to have to ride in
Until I’m driving one myself

The school bullies
I may be prey to

Part of her wonders
How she’s not crying
As she’s staring at me
Knowing all
That could be in front of me

But even though
She never believed in it before
She now realizes
That being ‘too tired to cry’
Is a very real thing

She can’t cry
And I can’t cry
And so we both
Just share some quiet time
Worrying about each other
And loving each other

Yes, I worry about my mother

I worry about her
Because she worries about me
And this will hint at the lifetime we’ll spend
Worrying about how we worry
About each other

My mother won’t outlive me
Which is devastating to me
But a great relief to her

There really is no happy ending
When you love another person

Because even if everything
Happens the way it’s supposed to
Everything still ends
In tears

Quiet tears

She eventually hands me back to the nurse
So she and I can rest
From all the worrying
We’re doing

All the other babies
In the newborn wing
Are screaming
And wailing
And I’m just sitting there
Letting people comment
On what a nice
Quiet baby I am

And outside
The world gets louder

And louder

No comments:

Post a Comment