Friday, August 23, 2019

Break Stuff

I would put on break stuff
And stay quiet

Really quiet

Sit in the closet
All the lights off
Just--

Just do all the things
Or
Or
Create all the surroundings
That a child creates
When they
When they want to scare themselves

Or
Or
What I thought
Kids would be scared of

I wasn’t really--

I don’t remember being scared
Of anything really

I remember
I--
I remember
Almost wanting
To be scared of something

Because it didn’t seem norma
To be so fearless
At such a young age
And I even--

I even understood that
To a certain, uh
To a certain extent

But as I got older
I kept waiting
For the fear
To reveal itself

But it never did
And so--

And so I got scared
Of not being scared

I would go after everything
Anything
That seemed like
It might take me closer
To being afraid

And for some reason
There was a safety in that

There was some comfort
In getting all done up in fear
And then not feeling it
Not feeling the fear
And thinking
That it’s--

That it’s something
Like being numb
Even when, uh--

Even when
It’s nothing like that

It’s something that’s, uh--

It’s this tension
This anxiety
Knowing
That at any minute
Fear is going to show up
And finally
Finally
Get its hands on you

I remember being
Ten or eleven
And putting on ‘Break Stuff’
Turning it up so loud

Nobody was home
Nobody was home but me
And, uh--

I would turn it up so loud
And night would come
And nobody would show up
To take care of me
To watch out for me
I don’t know--

I don’t know
Where anybody was
I was just--

I was just always alone

I’d go into the smallest space
In the house
A closet
Or sometimes a cupboard
Under the sink of something

And the lights would be off
And the music was so loud
And I was sure
Something or someone
Was going to get me

So I sat there
And I waited for it

I just waited

And nothing ever came

I’d fall asleep there
Even with the music
And the yearning
The desire
For fear

I’d fall asleep waiting

Feeling like
I had nothing
To worry about

And wondering

Why

No comments:

Post a Comment