Friday, August 2, 2019

Smith Street

My parents haved lived on Smith Street
For pretty much
Their entire lives
Or my entire life

When I first moved out
I got this place over Federal Hill
With my friend Carly
And that’s where we lived
For most of our, uh, twenties
The two of us

She’s in Minnesota now
But we still talk all the time
And she’s always trying to, uh,
Get me to move out there
But, like, I’m not going to move
To a colder climate, you know?

Plus I have to keep an eye
On my parents

That’s always been the case though
Even when I was younger

I remember going to parent/teacher conferences
With my parents
And I had to translate for them
Which is--

I mean, think about how awkward that is
The teacher telling your parents
How you’re doing in school
Or, like, you’re telling them

Thank god I did well in school
So the teachers never
Had much to say

But even if they had
I could have said
Anything I wanted

The only criticism I ever got
Was that my teachers thought
I wasn’t having enough fun

No really, that’s what they used to say

She’s not having enough fun
She’s like a little adult

Well, no kidding
Look at me sitting here
Look at what I have to do

I’m not bagging on my parents
But, you know, it was the reality
Of the situation

They need me
It’s not their fault
Not really

They could speak some English
And nowadays they’re practically fluent
But when I was little
It was tough for them
Really tough
And, um--

That meeting with the teacher
Who said I wasn’t having enough fun
I’m sitting there
Telling this to my parents
And they’re all embarrassed
And on the way home
My Dad is, like, scolding me
Being like--

Start having fun

And my mother
She understands
She’s like--

How is she supposed to have fun
And do her schoolwork
And watch her little sister
And do her chores
And be a kid?

And my dad just didn’t say anything

They expected so much from me
And that’s how it was when they were growing up
And nobody ever told their parents
That they needed to be kids
They thought that was being a kid

Like, to them,
Stress and stuff
That wasn’t something
You didn’t experience
As a kid
It was just something
That intensified
As you got older

This was the first time
Somebody told them
That, like--

No, it’s not supposed to be like that

They didn’t know

And my Dad finally settled on--

Just pretend like you’re having fun
To make these Americans happy

He talked about it
Like it was some cultural thing
Like American kids are lazy and stupid
But pretend to be like them
So I don’t have to listen
To lectures
From your teacher
Who, by the way, was an immigrant
Same as us
Just different country
But I didn’t say that
I didn’t even understand that
At the time

At the time
I couldn’t put any of this together

It took awhile
For me to do that

It actually took

Way too long

No comments:

Post a Comment