Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Born Early

I was supposed to be born
Two months from today

Guess I got eager
Guess I couldn’t wait

Sorry

Don’t worry
I’m going to be okay

A lot of my life is
Going to be spent
Getting places early

I turn out to be pretty bright
And I skip two grades

I start talking early
I start reading early
I leave home when I’m still sixteen
And move in with someone
A liiiiiittle too old for me

And then I meet this guy
A record producer
And he thinks I’ve got
I don’t know
Something about me

So I record a song
And the song is catchy
Like, it’s really catchy
Like, right away
You’re singing it
And you can’t
Stop
Singing it

And that means I’m the singer
Of a hit song
Singer is--

I’m not the greatest singer
But everybody wants to hear me
Sing the song
Because I’m the first one
To sing it

That’s how it works
I guess

So I make a lot of money
And I get to do some concerts
And I even put out a few more songs
That people like
And that makes me even more money
And I do more concerts
And I buy a nice house
And I do some drugs
And I die young

I die young

Came in early
Leave early

But I’m okay

As of right now
I’m okay

I was just born
Born early

I do a lot of stuff early

Some people come in
Running, you know?

Some people
Drop down
And their feet
Are already pedaling

Just how it is

My parents are--

They’re good people

And I think when I’m born
And they get to keep me
Right at the beginning
When it seems like
Maybe they won’t
They know
Then and there
That all the time we have together
Is going to be bonus time

Borrowed
I guess you could say

Doesn’t make it hurt any less
When you get a phone call one day
Twenty-seven years after
Your kid was born
Telling you
That kid’s been found
In their mansion
And they’ve already been gone
For close to a week

But maybe a part of you knows
That some people
Are a flash of lightning

And that when the light hits your face
You have to try
And remember that warmth
As best you can

Because when it’s gone
The cold is so cold
You wonder
If you’ll ever feel warm again

I couldn’t wait to get here, you know

I couldn’t wait
To meet my parents
My family
See what all the fuss
Was about

And I wasn’t disappointed

In fact--

Everything was even better

Than I thought it would be

No comments:

Post a Comment