Sunday, August 11, 2019

Born Fast

I was born fast

Mom went to the hospital
And two hours later
She called my Dad at work
To say--

Sorry I didn’t call you sooner
By the way, you have a kid

He didn’t even know
She was pregnant

I’m not sure he knew
Her last name

The first thing I ever was
Was a surprise

That’s going to be me
My whole life

Surprising people

And when I moved to the city
That kind of came in handy

Because here
You make a first impression
And then you’re forgotten
Until you make
Another first impression

And without meaning to
I was just
Constantly
Making
First impressions

Usually with my speed

I talked fast
I dated fast
I loved fast
I broke up fast
I did everything--

Fast

And it never stopped
Being a surprise

That’s the weird thing
About certain kinds of people
People like me
No matter how many times
We do something
That pisses people off
Because they didn’t see it coming
They still never see it coming
And they still get pissed off

I always figure
There must be something
About being pissed off
That they just...like
I guess
Right?

Because nobody ever cuts me out
Of their life

They say they’re going to
They say they want to
They go to therapists
And talk about
Cutting me loose
But they never do

I get done what I need to get done
Quickly
And that, for some reason,
Drives everybody insane
Especially my employers
Of which I’ll have many
Because I always get paid
By the hour
And never a salary
And so being efficient never really
Works in my favor

I’ll find myself
Late in bed
At night
Not being able to sleep
Never sleeping
An hour here or there
But that’s it

And I think about
Everything I got done that day
And all the things I could have gotten done
If I was just a little bit faster
A little bit faster
Just a step quicker
Just, you know,
One more surprise in me
One more thing
Somebody didn’t see coming

I wonder how many more
I have left

That’s the charming thing
About it

When you get to the point
Of thinking--

Oh well, that’s it
I’ve seen it all now
Nothing left

And then it happens

You surprise yourself

And that’s, ugh,
I mean, at that point,
Even I get frustrated
But also--

It’s really amazing

To do that
Even to myself
It’s--

I’ll tell you one thing

I’m only a few minutes old
And that feeling
Will never

Get old

No comments:

Post a Comment