Monday, August 12, 2019

Born Dumb

I’m born an idiot
A real idiot
Not like one of those
Secretly smart idiots

A full-on numbskull

No way around it

And obviously
That’s not the luckiest
Type of person
To be in this world
Or any world
Because aliens are a thing
And you can take my word on that

The Infant Eye told me so
Not in so many words, but--

I’m not saying
I’m the dumbest person
Who ever lived
But I’m probably top ten

But, uh, here’s the catch

I’m good-looking

Like, really good-looking

So, like, for awhile
I don’t even realize
How dumb I am

And not only do I not realize
How dumb I am
I also start to think
That, like, maybe I’m smart
Because whenever I talk
People just stare at me
Like I’m saying the greatest things
They’ve ever heard in their life

So yeah, for awhile there
I think I’m pretty bright
And, uh, you know,
Nothing really supports that
Grades, I mean
Like, how I do in school
But, like, lots of geniuses
Fail in school
Or so I believe
And so I say
And people stare
So I believe myself

And I just think--

Maybe I’m too smart for school

It takes, uh, until I’m older
Much older
And, uh, my looks kind of--

Well, they disappear on me

And then it’s like
People can’t trip over themselves
Fast enough
To tell me
How dumb I am

And I’m like--

Whoa, where is this coming from?

It’s this really mean thing
People do
Where, like, when they want something from you
They’re nice
And when they don’t want it anymore
They treat you like shit

Do you know about that?
Do you know that happens?

See, like, all these things
I thought were original thoughts of mine
Turn out to be stuff
Everybody already knows
And nobody would tell me

I feel like I’ve been blind
My whole life
By the time I find out
I’m dumb

But the thing is
Sight doesn’t make you smart

You can see things
But you can’t, like, all of a sudden
Think all these smart things
Because at that point
My brain kind of is what it is

You know, it’s like how
You can teach dogs to do old stuff?

But, like, you can’t make an idiot
A genius
If you wait forty years
Before you tell him
He’s an idiot

Someone will ask me
This guy at a bar
Will ask me
Once I complain to him
About all this
If I would rather
Have been born ugly
And smart
Or, like, have it
The way it is
And I tell him--

Fuck no
At least I got to be hot
For most of my life

I mean I just wanted that
Plus, like, not being
A complete moron, you know?

It’s like how you can have your cake
And eat it too, right?

Isn’t that what they say?

I think it is

I’m pretty sure

Yeah

I’m pretty sure

No comments:

Post a Comment