Monday, August 5, 2019

College Hill

It’s a little weird going to school here
With all these people
Who didn’t grow up here

And it’s crazy how scared everyone is
Of, like, traveling anywhere
Like, beyond College Hill

These are kids who, like,
Go to Morocco on Spring Break
But think downtown Providence
Is some kind of war zone

Or they’re just, uh, like,
Not interested
In seeing
What the city has to offer
Or whatever
And um--

You know, maybe it’s like that
With a lot of schools
And the places where they’re, uh,
Where they are
But I really found it confusing
Because, like, take these weekend trips
To, like, New York or whatever
And I’m saying--

There’s this thing going on in Providence

And they just wave me off
Like, whatever it is
It can’t be worth checking out

And, um, my school
The school I go to
I think it, uh,
Kind of encourages this

They definitely don’t--

There’s no talk of, like,
Community engagement
Aside from, you know,
Charitable stuff
Or stuff relating to, uh,
Our studies
But
There’s no, like--

Just go see what’s out there
Interact with your surroundings
With the city

There’s none of that

And then everybody graduates
And leaves
And never comes back
Except for, like, reunion weekends
Where they walk around
And go eat and stuff
And they’re like--

Wow, was this all here
When we were here?

And it’s like--

Yeah assholes
It was

I just get really upset by it
Because, uh, I don’t think
I’m leaving
When I graduate

I just, uh, I don’t think
That’s in the cards for me

So to see people
Just treat this whole city
Like, uh, it’s just a train station
Until they can get to
Where they want to go--

It just makes me
Really upset

And, like, people are saying--

Oh, that’s how everybody is
About their hometown
Where they’re from

And I’m, like--

Nooooo

There are some people
From some pretty shitty places
Who are, like, very proud
To be from those places

Haven’t you ever seen a movie
About Texas football?

Like, the town always looks like shit
But they’re all--

Woohoo, we have a great high school
Football team here
Go Rednecks!

It’s just crazy that, like, this place
Isn’t even that bad
And people are just dying
To talk shit about it
Or move away from it
And, like, nobody’s doing anything about that

Like, I’m not talking about
Fixing all the stuff that’s wrong
And, yeah, there’s a lot of stuff wrong, but--

Why don’t we stop talking about it
The way we do first
And then work on fixing it?


At least that way
We won’t have all these people
Who could help fix it
Moving away?

I mean, doesn’t that make sense?

I’m not saying I have all the answers, but--

Maybe we could start

With that

No comments:

Post a Comment