Saturday, August 3, 2019

North Main

I’m going to move back
And I--

I already found this place
Off North Main

I’m taking it from out here
Because I can’t really afford
To fly back
Just to get my shit in order, you know?

Just gotta take a few leaps
But, uh, it helps that, you know
Obviously, I lived there
I lived there
I grew up there
So--that helps
With making some of these decisions

How do I feel about moving back?

Well, I--

You know, I used to live with my friend
On Federal Hill
And that was fun
Back when that was happening
But, uh, obviously, you know
I’m older now

So I don’t expect it’s going to be like that
Or that Rhode Island
Providence
Is going to be like that

I don’t have any expectations, really
I just know that this is a--

It’s a weird feeling
Going home
Because that experience
Is both, like,
This thing that people talk about fondly
And this thing that’s seen
As a sort of failure, you know?

It’s both

People are saying--

It’s so great you’re coming back
We’re going to love having you back
How awesome

But then you see them
Posting on people’s walls
Who are leaving being like--

Good for you
Get the hell out of here

So which is it?

I have to come back
It just--it just makes the most sense

No matter where you grew up
That’s the most logical place
To move to
When you need a reset, you know?

It’s just the first thing you think of

Like, even if you hate it, it’s--

This is what I know

I tried to picture that part
Of North Main
And think about, like,
Walking around
In that area
Which is nuts
Because I never walk around
The area I’m in now
And I don’t know
Why I’d suddenly do that
Just because I’m moving back
To Providence
But it’s just something
I wanted to do

So I go on Google Earth
Because it’s been so long
It’s not like I know all this
From memory

I go on Google Earth
And I see the area
And I move the mouse
And I picture walking it
Walking that area

And I walk all the way
Down North Main
Towards downtown
And I notice some stuff
That’s either new
Or just, you know,
I never noticed it
While I was there

That’s the crazy part is--

Like, I’m probably going to think
That all this stuff I’m going to see is new
When really
I just wasn’t paying attention
When I was growing up there

When I first moved here
That would happen

I would say to someone--

Did you know about this restaurant?

Or--

Did you know about this bar?

And people who lived there
Their whole lives would be like--

No, we’ve never been there
Isn’t that crazy?
We’ve never been there

And I would think
It was kind of crazy but--

Then I think of this boyfriend I had
Who grew up in New York
And told me
He’d never gone to the Statue of Liberty

Isn’t that wild?

Lived in New York until he was twenty-five
And never went
To the Statue of Liberty

Isn’t that the craziest thing

You’ve ever heard?

No comments:

Post a Comment