Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Born Smiling

I’m smiling
When I’m born

They say babies
Don’t smile
For the same reasons
The rest of us smile
It’s just a random physicality

A tic or something

But I smile
Throughout most
Of my infancy

And childhood
And when I become an adult
I’m still smiling

Which is how you know I’m miserable

I spend my life
Hearing people say--

You’re so happy
All the time

And I always thank them
For saying that
And inside
I just want to kick their faces off
With the sharpest pair of boots
I can find

Beware the smilers
Ladies and gentlemen

We’re all thoroughly damaged

When I’m thirty-seven
I’m driving through the desert
With my mother
And we’re singing The Beach Boys
And I can’t explain to you
Why any of that is happening

I’m assuming we’re on a trip
And I’m assuming we like The Beach Boys
And I’m assuming we realize how silly it is
To sing The Beach Boys
In the middle of the desert
And I hope it’s an American desert
And I’m not driving down a road in the Sahara
When I’m thirty-seven
But I’m a smiler
So I just sort of have to hope
That everything’s fine
Because part of smiling all the time
Is not asking too many questions
While you grind your teeth down to stubs

We’re driving through the desert
And we’re singing “Wouldn’t It Be Nice?”
Which is such a clichéd thing to sing
But that’s honestly what we’re doing
And, uh, we stop
And get out of the car
And we turn the volume
All the way up
So you can hear it in space practically
And we’re dancing around the car
And I’m guessing my mom is pretty fun
Because she seems pretty fun
And all of this is seen
Through the Magic Eye
Or whatever it is we infants have
So I’m wondering when the image
Is going to cut out
Because these little glimpses of the future
Never last very long
But this one does

It just goes on and on
And we’re dancing
And then it rewinds
And we’re in the car
And the desert is vast
And the car is a piece of junk
But the a/c works
And my mother is tapping her nails
Against the window
And I have no idea where we’re going
And I’m smiling
And I have no idea
Why I’m smiling

At one point my mother tells me
She used to be a movie star
But I don’t know if that’s true
But I also don’t know
Why it wouldn’t be true

At this point in the future
Of human history
Movies might be
A thing of the past

I have no idea

But she’s talking
And she’s smiling
And I’m driving
And I have my eyes on the road
And then The Beach Boys comes on
And I stop the car
And we’re dancing

And we’re dancing
And we’re dancing
And we’re dancing

Then we get back in the car
And we drive away
And the whole thing
Is like the ending of a movie
That I haven’t seen
The beginning of yet

Although I’m the beginning

At the moment I’m born
That’s the beginning

And the ending
Looks lovely
Assuming the ending
Is--I don’t know
The car flying into the sky
Or something

But it all looks so nice
Even the desert

So maybe that’s why I’m smiling
Maybe that’s why
I’ve always been

Smiling

No comments:

Post a Comment