Sunday, August 18, 2019

Born Poor

I don’t have much
When I’m born

I don’t have…

Much to, uh
My name
Much to, um
Meaning--

Assets

I have nothing

And not just nothing
Because I’m a baby
And because babies
Intrinsically have nothing
Like nothing, ever,
To have
To--

To look forward
To having
I--

I am going to be
Poor

I’m going to be poor

My whole life

I’m born to a poor family
My family is poor
My whole life
I’m--

I’m poor
My whole life

I--

I have prospects
Things
That would make me think
That, uh, that maybe
One day
I won’t be poor
But somehow
I always seem
To wind up
Poor

I, uh, don’t know that
Of course
Not, uh, not as soon as
I’m past the point
Where I don’t have that
Newborn omnipotence

I don’t know
That there’s nothing
To hope for

Well--uh, well
Not nothing
Not nothing to, uh--

I have love

Sounds corny, but--

I have love
My whole life

From my family
From friends
From, uh, lots of people

I’m, uh--

I’m poor
But I’m very
Lovable

And so because I have love
I’m, uh, happy
Most of the time

More of the time
Than you would think
Based on you, uh
Knowing that I’m poor
My entire life

It’s so sappy, you know
To talk about love
And especially to, uh
Talk about love
And money
And having one
But not the other
But, uh, the fact remains
I have one
And not the other

And life is hard
Life is, uh--

Even with love
It’s pretty damn hard
But--

I have to think
It would be harder
The other way around

I have to believe that
While I never know
The feeling of, uh
Living the high life
Or having, uh
Nice things even--

I have to believe
That I got the good shake
You know?

That I got
The better deal

But who knows?

It’s just, uh--

Even when you know
Everything
You really can’t ever
Know

Everything

No comments:

Post a Comment