Monday, August 5, 2019

Born at Night

I was born at 11:34pm
On a Wednesday

So I was almost
A Thursday baby
But not quite

I can’t quite see yet
But I have what’s called
The Infant Eye

It’s only referred to
By other infants
And once you get older
You forget everything
You knew as an infant
And nobody even explains to you
Why you think the things you think
And while you’re still quite new
You’re also old
Because all energy on the planet
Has been there
Since the beginning of time
And before you learn how to recycle
The energy given to you
To create the person
You’re going to become
You get to borrow energy
That’s been newly disposed of

Some people think of this
As reincarnation
But it’s really just borrowing
Insight
From those who are no longer
On this earth
In a physical form

And if this all sounds
Too trippy for you
Don’t worry
That’s about as complex as it gets

At least as far
As I’m concerned

The first thing I became aware of
Were my ears

I thought they were too big

Now, all infants have something about them
When they’re first born
That they don’t like very much

For some, it’s they’re born with birthmarks
Or spots that disappear
Or hair that’ll eventually fall out
And they make peace with the fact that they’re new
And being new means things will change
And you’ll grow into yourself
And all will be well

Except in my case
I knew
That I was stuck
With these ears

The Infant Eye told me so

My eyes, by the way, were just the right size

I knew the minute I was born
That I was going to be a woman
With big ears
And what’s worse
I would spend my infancy
Knowing I was going to have big ears
Then I would grow old enough to forget
And there would be this wonderful period of time
Where I wouldn’t be aware
Of my ears
But only a short period of time
Because then I’d look in the mirror
And realize my burden
All over again

There are worse things to have
I know that
I knew it
The minute I was born

The Infant Eye has no time
For whiners
Even though babies
Do tend to cry
An awful lot

It told me that I was going
To be a very beautiful woman
Despite my ears
And that I would accomplish many great things
And deliver a lot of joy
To everyone I came in contact with
Over my lifetime

That was all lovely to hear
But I still wanted to hear it
Through slightly smaller ears

We all go out into the world with something
About ourselves we don’t like

Even brand new
It’s our natural inclination
To disapprove

It starts within our bodies
--And travels

I will do everything
The Infant Eye told me
I would do with my life

But I’ll also hate these ears
For as long as I’m alive
Right up until the moment I’m not
And then I’ll feel pretty stupid
About the whole thing


You’re born feeling wise
And you die feeling dumb
And nobody knows why
It isn’t the other way around

Maybe if I had been born
On a Thursday
I would have had reasonable ears
But something else wrong with me

The Butterfly Effect isn’t as real
As some people make it out to be
But when you’re born
Does bring about things in you
That otherwise wouldn’t be there

I was born at night
And so I’m going to like coffee
Pleasant music
Soft sheets
Dancing in public
And the lights on top of buildings
The little red dots
And how they fade out
As the sun comes up

But I’m never
Going to like
My ears

Just the way it goes, you know

And I guess it could have gone

Much worse

No comments:

Post a Comment