Friday, August 9, 2019

Born Rich

I was born into a rich family
And the question that occurs to me now is--

When did I know I was rich?

I might have been around nine
Nine or ten
When I realized that--

Oh, not everyone’s like me

But I still know if that’s just
The concept of being rich
Or if it’s the concept
For a child
Of being different

That we’re all the same
But we’re really not all the same
And we’re not all--

I guess it’s when you realize
For the first time
What an opportunity is

And for a rich kid
That’s really a weird thing
Because you’re given
Lots of opportunities
But there’s nothing--

Like, where other people
Have to go after opportunities
Have to, uh, win them
Or--just pursue them
And then make the most of them--

I was just handed them

And so in that way
I didn’t really understand
What they were

And, uh, I don’t know
If you can understand rich
Until you understand opportunity
And for that to happen
You need to understand
What it is
To not have opportunities

Does that make sense?

So I’m born rich
And nine years later
I look at one of the maids
Who works for my family
And I think--

Gee, I wonder what her life is like

And so I think I asked her
Something about her life
And she didn’t want to tell me
Because it was none of my business, you know
And she wasn’t mean about it
She was just trying to, uh, be professional, I guess
And I get that
But it got me thinking
And so I asked my brother about it
And he said--

She’s poor
The maid, the maid is poor

And I knew what the word poor meant
But I didn’t think
We knew--

Me

I didn’t think I knew
Poor people

And so I didn’t really know
What to do with that

With that information, and uh--

It probably took me
A few years after that
Before I started
Putting together the pieces of--

Of what it meant
To be who I was
With my privilege
With my opportunities
With all of that

That took a long time

And there was definitely
A resistance there
On my part
To really unpack all of that
And say--

Yeah, I had these opportunities

Because I’d like to think
I could have gotten them all
Without being born who I was
But the truth is
There are just--

There are just doors that don’t open
Unless you’re born--literally born, the way I was--

Into a certain situation

And the only remedy I can think of for that
Like, in the short-term
Would be to have people like
Constantly looking out saying--

Who can I share this with?

Like, who can I help up?

Because otherwise you just have to be--

I mean, I shouldn’t say
Born rich
I should say born lucky

Really, I mean--

That’s what we’re talking about here

No comments:

Post a Comment