Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Girl on Your Arm

Is that her name on your arm?

She has a pretty name
And a pretty boyfriend

You are, you're pretty
Some men are handsome
Some men are hot
And some are pretty

You're pretty

And what about me?
Do you think I'm pretty?

Oh, I shouldn't have said that, huh?

The girl on your arm
Will get very angry with me
Won't she?

Or maybe she'll get angry with you

After all
I have the luxury
Of flirting with whatever man I like
Then sending him home to his wife
So he can get screamed at
For doing nothing at all

Oh right, she's not your wife
Just your girl
The girl on your arm

Does she ever plan on making an honest man out of you?
Or would that be too difficult
For her?

I don't have any tattoos of my own
Certainly no names

I don't like to put anything on me
That I can't
Take off

I guess I could get a little flower
Or something girly
Like that

But you outgrow those sorts of things
Don't you?

Flowers
Unicorns
The name of somebody you used to love

In my experience
My considerable experience
Very few things
Are truly
Permanent

My mother used to say--

'Write in pencil
Not in ink
You never know what you're going to need to erase'

Nothing looks like a mistake
Until you're ten miles
Away from it

To be honest, though
And I do like being honest

I kind of like the way her name
Looks on your arm

Or maybe I just like
Your arm

Hard to say

Maybe what I need
Is a closer look

No comments:

Post a Comment