Monday, November 21, 2011

Soft Blue Lies

He thinks I don't notice
'Cause they're soft blue lies

Thinks I'll grow fond of them
And keep them by my bed at night

He says they're pretty
And a part of me agrees

I thought I knew what lies would like
But nobody told me
That they'd look like him

Nobody told me
I could lay my head down on them
And let them sing me to sleep

Nobody told me
They'd take in light
And shine it back at me

Nobody told me
They'd be so pretty
Or that they'd be so comforting
Or that they'd look so much
Like the truth

Sometimes I tell them things
Like they're wishing well coins
Like they're stuffed animals
Like they're magic mirrors
Like they can't hear them
And remember them
And use them against me

Sometimes I take them out
And show them to people

People who tell me
They're something else

Because they're fooled
The same way I used to be
Fooled

They tell me they're beautiful
They're soft
They're blue
They're harmless
They're happiness
They're anything but a pack of lies

And I let them tell me
Whatever they want to tell me

The same way I let him tell me
That I'm crazy, cold, cynical
Cowardly, and a liar

Liars only know how to echo
They only know how to look in front of themselves
And shout back at you
What you shout at them

You're a liar
You're a liar
You're a liar

And maybe I am
Or at least...

Maybe it would be easier
To be

No comments:

Post a Comment