Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Shelter

Why are you shivering?

Did you miss the last bus
Out of here?

I hear it's going to rain
You might wanna get shelter
If you can

See these wings of mine?
They're made of metal
Made of scraps
I found in a junkyard

They can cover you
If you need them to
They're no good for flying
But they're okay for shelter

Are you from around these parts?
Do I sound like like I'm speaking
A different language
Than you?

Please stop shivering

I'm getting cold
Just looking at you
In that ratty old coat

Bet you came from two towns over
Bet you ran away from home
Bet you got a baby coming
Bet you've never been alone

Did I push too many buttons

Please don't run
I'm only half a monster
I don't feel like hurting anyone
Tonight

Unless that's what you're looking for
Do you like the way you shiver?

Did you want to find someone
Who could show you love the way you knew
Who could make you understand
That you're exactly who they said you were?

How much do you have on you?
How much do you need to hide?
How much shelter are we talking?

Maybe what you need is a ride

You can come hop in my car
I won't say that you'll be safe
But at least you can stop waiting
For the other shoe to drop

My hands are stained with salt and dirt
Got a few bucks, but not much else
Sometimes I get really angry
So I can't say you'll be okay

I'll drive you somewhere nice and quiet
Where you and I can talk some more
Maybe afterwards I'll bring you back here
And you can catch a bus back home
Or wherever it is you planned on going

Just know that I'm not promising anything

Just know that I'm upfront

I'm half bad, you know

And I can't tell you which half is going
To be around when

But when it comes
It's usually real bad

And it stays for awhile
It sticks on me
Like the salt on my hands

Leaves a funny taste in the mouth

But at least if you chance it
If you come for a ride
I can keep you under my wings
Underneath the scrap metal

I can hide you from the rain

The rain can be just as bad as me
When it wants to be

So I guess you have to figure out
What it is you want

But either way
You gotta gamble

Either way
You're looking
At a rough road
Ahead

No comments:

Post a Comment