Monday, November 14, 2011

I Can See Your Bones

So I see he likes your clothes
And your smile
And your smirk

I notice him looking
At you looking
At yourself

I'm amused by what he sees
Or, what he thinks he sees

He can see your skin
But I can see your bones

He can take your kisses
But I can take your hits

He cares enough to love you
But I care enough to do more than love you
If I have to
And I've had to
Haven't I?

Does that guy know?
Does he know what I've done

Does he know how little
Of you
Is fun?

No, he doesn't, does he?

Because all he sees is Saturday nights
And sex in nice beds
With fresh sheets
And blue candles

Ice cream and cake
And bagels for brunch
People-watching
On Sundays

People not happy
Like you and he

Unhappy like you are now
Because of me, right?

Right?

Isn't that what this fight is about?

How I've made you
Unhappy

But he could change all that
Couldn't he?

He looks at you
And sees are two legs
And opportunity

He sees the possibility
Of all the things
I'm not letting you be
And I can see
Your bones

He looks across a room
Sees a man with a glass
That appears to be
Half-empty

And another man standing
Inches away

With no smile on his face
With no smirk
With no possibility

You look at these two
And you say

This is this
And that is that

One is kisses
One's a killjoy

One is light
And one is dark

And one is hot
And one is not

And you, guy at the party
You, casual observer
You, outsider looking into something
You believe you understand

You and this jigsaw puzzle
With all the wrong pieces
And even more missing
And you thought

I can put that together

I can make that right

Well, how about this

See if you can make it right tonight

See how deep your eyes go

Or maybe they only go
Across the room?

I don't know

All I know is you can see him
From here on out

You can see the good stuff
And the bad stuff
And the bullshit
And the bones

You can see it all

Me?

I'm sick of looking at it

I'm ready to see
Something else

No comments:

Post a Comment