Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Roomful of Sorry

Everybody just wants me to sit here
In a roomful of sorry

Listening to condolences
Carefully worded wisdom
Explanations of how I should go about
Living the rest of my life

Everybody has an opinion
And a tissue
To wrap it up in

And my husband's gone
He's gone

And I'm mad at him
For eating wrong
And not exercising
And not going to the doctor
Every year like he should have

But more than that
I'm mad
That he left me
In a roomful of people

Who pick at me
Like I'm a bag of snacks

Who dip their sympathies into me
To see how much I can soak up

Who assess whether or not
I am fully grieving
And fully recovering
At the very same time

They check my wounds
They check my tears
They check my clocks
To see if they've logged enough time
At the House of Misfortune

And the thing about these people
The key thing
That I see
That they don't

Is that whenever they feel like it
They can leave the roomful of sorry

They can pack up
And take off
And go back to lives
That aren't filled with heart attacks
And funerals
And cold leftover casseroles
And silence

And I'm still here
And I have to stay here

I have to figure out how to get up everyday
And open windows in such a way
That light pours in
Enough light to flood the sorry
Out of this room

Out of this house

Out of everything

I have to remain here in this room
Long after everybody stops being sorry

I have to walk through here
And hear detached apologies
And old stories
And sad little pieces of advice
That go nowhere
But down the drain
That's opened in my chest

This is the room where we used to watch tv on the couch together
Where our daughter took her first steps
Where our son first played the guitar for us
Where we were happy
Where we were so happy

And now it's something else

And though I know I'll never get my husband back
I wonder...

I wonder about the room
And the house
And the memories of the house
And the way things were

I wonder if I'll ever be getting
Anything
Back

No comments:

Post a Comment