Monday, November 28, 2011

The Man My Kids Think I Can Be

My kids think I can bend our coffee table
Without breaking it

They think I can take solids
And make them rubber
Or make them disappear

When something bad happens
Dad can hold it up
And make two fists
Then knock them against his forehead
Sometimes knocking himself to the ground
While the kids laugh

And when I open those fists
The bad stuff is gone

At least...

They think it is

But let's not get too serious
My kids don't think I'm serious
They look at kids with serious Dads
Then they look at me
And grab my hand
And I can see them thinking to themselves--

I'm glad my Dad's not like that

But the problem is that
Sometimes I feel like I suck
At being a Dad

I'm great at being a buddy
And a joker
And a coffee table bender

But when that bad stuff disappears
I just put it behind my ears
And sometimes it falls down
And lands in me
Where it turns into worse stuff
Than little kids' fears

Sometimes it falls too hard on me
And I have to go drive
Drive anywhere
For a long time
Until I find a place I can leave it
So I don't bring it back home with me

My Dad never did that
He let all that hard stuff
Fall on me
And I said 'okay'
Because it was better than watching it
Fall on my mom or my sisters

I remember saying 'Never' more than any other word

And when I had kids I said it even more

Never, never, never
Would I have that
In my house

Fear, anger, violence

I thought I could keep it out
But I can

But when I put my kids to sleep
I can see that look on their face
I know I never had on mine

That look that says--

We're safe
We're safe here

My kids think I can keep them safe
And in line with my words
Instead of my fists

And laughing
And learning
And loved

They think I'm Superman, you know?

Sometimes I see them looking behind me
Watching the red cape
Wave in the wind

And when that bad stuff hits me
When it lands on me
And I wonder what to do with it

If I have it in me
To drive away again

To go further and further
To make sure
That I can drop it off somewhere
Where it won't find its way back

And when it does
I wonder if I should just let it stay

I wonder when my dad made that decision
I wonder when he decided
That it was just easier
To let it stay

When I feel that
When I feel that urge
To throw my hands up
And my keys in the bowl
By the door

And sit on my couch
And open a beer
And say 'To hell with it'
It's too hard
It's too damn hard

And it's heavier now
It's heavier than it ever was

I remind myself

I remind myself about the man
My kids think I can be

Daddy can fly and stop bullets
And be all the stuff
It's too hard to be
And deal with it

So that they never have to have
This stuff fall on them

There are days when I can't be that guy
When I'm no good at being Superman
When I'm no good at being strong
When I'm no good at being Dad

But I fight back
I remember
That I'm always telling them
They can be anything they want to be

So can't I be the man
They think I can be?

Yeah, I can

I can be

And I make sure they watch me
While I teach them
How to make the bad stuff

Disappear

It's all about
Looking at it
And saying--

I'm better

I'm better than the bad stuff
That might fall on me

I teach them to say--

I can be anything
The people who love me
Think I can be

No comments:

Post a Comment