Friday, November 25, 2011

Nothing is Free

Love may be cheap
Love
May actually be
The cheapest thing of all
But cheap still means you're paying something
Cheap don't mean free
So do I love you?
So what?
It ain't free
Nothing is free

Pleasure, any kind of pleasure
Costs, you know

You wanna see a movie?
You wanna sit on a beach?
You wanna pretend you have a right
To be somewhere you're not?

Somewhere you can't afford to be?

Well, that costs
And that's not cheap

See, you're one of those people
Who's been brought up
Raised, to think
That, when in doubt
It is possible
To turn to the things that are free
To live off the land, so to speak
To get by on nothing

Nobody's ever been able to show me
The land I can live off of
When I stop caring
About making sure
I'm taken care of
Nobody's ever handed me anything
And said, 'Here.  This is free.'

Now you give me keys
You give me balance
You give me warm showers
And a place where I can come and go
As I please, when I please
And you say, 'Take it.  It's free.'

It's not free
Whether or not you even know it
What you're offering
Isn't free

It's just a question
Of delayed payment

Because sooner or later
I'm going to have to pay for it
For all of it

And what you're offering
What's sitting in your hand
Like the most innocent little thing in the world?

Is not
Free

Nothing is

But I'll look at it

I'll look at it
And want it
And think about stealing it
And cry over it later
When I'm back at home

But that love of yours
You say is all mine
Mine for the taking?

No strings
No conditions?

Yeah, that's too much

That's more
Than I can
Afford

No comments:

Post a Comment