Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Too Late to Argue, Too Late to Sleep

It's too late to argue
Too late to sleep

I keep looking at the clock
Thinking sick days

I shouldn't have used
All my sick days

The broken glass is down so deep in the carpet
We should just rip the whole thing up
And learn to live
On hardwood floors

The dishes never got done
The garbage never got taken out
The pile of work I didn't do at work
Because I was so out of it
From the fight we had last night
Is still sitting on the kitchen table
Like a puppy I forgot to feed

The blinds are dirty
And the more light streams through them
The dirtier they look

There's blood in the sink
But I don't know whose it is

I don't see any cuts on you
I don't see any cuts on me either

Could we have had somebody else bleeding in here
Without our realizing it?

Hard to say, you know?

Hard to say

The coffeemaker's broken
The fridge is making a funny noise
The television is stuck on Channel 7
Which is made up of televangelism
And panel shows
Where somebody is always talking
About cracks in the sidewalk

The alarm clock won't stop going off
No matter how many times I hit snooze

The empty bottles
Are filling up the tops
Of every available surface

You slept on the floor
I slept on the couch
The bed is untouched

We are no longer
Worthy
Of the bed

Of comfort
Of stablity
Of normalcy

Of...

Fuck

Have I written this before?

I feel like I've written this before
I feel like I've written about this so many times
And each time
It seems new

'What fresh hell is this?'

Sleepiness, weariness, exhaustion

It's really the only man-made way
Of bringing about deja vu

I ramble
I mumble
I try to force myself to cry
The way people force themselves
To throw up

I just want this out of me
I want all these tears
And this frustration
And this bullshit

I just want
It
Out

But it's too late now
To be any kind of healthy

Too late to repair
Too late to retire
Too late to regroup
Too late to retreat
Too late to rebound

Too late, you know?
It's too late

And too bad, too

Really, really
Too bad

No comments:

Post a Comment