Friday, November 25, 2011

On the Shore

I can't keep these hands up much longer
The cold's starting to get inside my lungs
I'm trying to float
But my body's soaking up too much
And my voice keeps coming back to me
Every time I shout

I think I might be out here
For awhile

So tell me--

How are things on the shore?

Is it nice there?
Is it cozy?
Is it warm?

Are you having yourself a picnic
A party, a tan?
While you watch another person drown?

Is it too much to ask
To come out here and get me?

Is it wrong to think
That I deserve some help?

I hate to disturb your conversation
With my screaming

But I'm losing this
I'm losing it
I'm almost lost

Meanwhile, you're sitting pretty
On the shore

But where am I safer?

Is my breath better off out here
Underneath the waves?

Instead of wasted on your ears
Telling you how badly
I need saving

I know you call me
The inconvenience

Well I never meant to inconvenience you
But tell me just exactly what
Was I was supposed
To do?

Boats go by
And nobody does anything
Sharks swim around
But it doesn't seem like they're interested
In a bite

I keep feeling
Like I'm halfway to falling
And halfway
To frozen

And you watch me
And you watch me
And I watch you watching me

Wondering when it's going to be
Until I sink, sink, sink

So you can

Go on enjoying your time
On the shore

No comments:

Post a Comment