Wednesday, July 3, 2019

A Good Surprise

I had a little fire
Going in the bathtub
And he was on the bed

I kneeled
I kneeled and I prayed to him
Said--

Make me god-fearing
Make me like a preacher
In the army of dust

Make me good
Make me clean
Make me of the fire

The woman at the front desk
Looked at me funny
When I asked
For a room around the back
But then she just handed me a key
And went right back to reading
Her People magazine

Circulation for dead brain cells
That’s what it is

The Man on the Bed
Only lets me read stimulation
And presence for the soul

Ink carries sin in it
That’s what he says

Only the chosen can listen
Only the righteous can hear

I drag myself into the bathroom
And toast newspaper
Over the fire

I knew if we picked
A lonely enough motel
The smoke detectors
Wouldn’t work
And we’d have all night
To crisp and blacken

Once the newspapers are burnt
Then go the books
And the baubles
And everything else
We took from the house
In Perdon City

Once it’s been consumed
By the fire
Then we’ll see
Where to go next

The Man on the Bed
Doesn’t tell me
To go one step, one step
He just says ‘Now’
And I dig a little knife
Into the bottom of my foot
So I’ll remember
That the air is only here
In the moment

There is no tomorrow air
No next week oxygen
Nothing there for us
More than a few miles
Into the desert

We got here on a flat tire
And a quarter tank of gas
But we still got here
And that’s all that matters

The Man on the Bed
Isn’t sure I’ll be ready
When the time comes
To put him in the bathtub
Let alone myself

But I know the strength that comes
From having found
A language
Only you can speak
With words
Only you
Can hear

Across from the motel
There’s a bar
Named something
After a cowboy
Or a horse
Or a cowboy and his horse

I take a second
While the fire pops
To peek out of the bathroom window
All the way towards the ceiling
And get a look
At the people outside the bar
Smoking and showing off
Their motorcycles

Part of me would love
To walk over there
Wearing my best dress
And my nicest shoes
With my hair all done up
And my make-up just right

Part of me would love
To ask somebody
A cowboy
To dance with me
Even for just one song

Part of me would tell
The Man in the Bed
When I got back
That I had been to Heaven
And that it smells
Like fresh bourbon
And cinnamon wood polish

But there’s no time
For showing off
When salvation
Is the prize you’re after

I bring more kindling
For the fire
And I hear the Man on the Bed
Start to wake up

A little cloth over the mouth
And he’ll be back asleep
In no time flat

Don’t want him awake
When he meets
The fire

Then it wouldn’t be
A surprise

And everybody loves

A good surprise

No comments:

Post a Comment