Friday, July 12, 2019

Don't Worry About It

(DAD and JESSICA in a
furniture store.)

JESSICA:  Dad, I don’t want
to spend that much time in here.

DAD:  I just want to make
sure you don’t get cheated.

JESSICA:  Okay, first of all,
it’s a furniture store, not a
used car dealership.

DAD:  They all get you one
way or another, trust me. 
You’re lucky I’m here.

JESSICA:  I just want to get
what I need and get out, okay?

DAD:  Jessica, you’re talking
about spending a lot of money. 
You can’t just waltz in the door
and start signing whatever
contract they put in front of
you.  You have to think about
this stuff.

JESSICA:  Dad, Google bought
my app.  I can basically buy
this entire store if I want to.  I
just want to fill up my house
and be done with the whole thing.

DAD:  Hey listen, just because
you’re rich now, that doesn’t
mean you’ll always be rich. 
Look at your Uncle Mike.

JESSICA:  Uncle Mike got
caught selling drugs to lawyers
in strip club parking lots.

DAD:  And now he’s not rich
anymore.  What I’m saying
is--Don’t count your chickens.

JESSICA:  Shouldn’t you be
saying ‘Don’t sell drugs?'

DAD:  He was only selling
high-class drugs.  It was
very exclusive.

JESSICA:  I just want to buy
a couch I can fall asleep on
while I try to watch whatever
HBO tells me is impressive.

DAD:  I like to fall asleep to
Westworld.  Sometimes I
don’t even make it past the
opening credits.

JESSICA:  That couch over
there looks nice.

(A beat.)

DAD:  Jessica, my love--

JESSICA:  Oh god.

DAD:  --You see that couch?

JESSICA:  Yes, Dad.

DAD:  I could make you that couch.

JESSICA:  You could...make
me a couch?

DAD:  I could.

JESSICA:  Just like that one?

DAD:  Yup.

JESSICA:  Dad, that’s probably
a five thousand dollar couch.

DAD:  I could make it for thirty
bucks.

(A beat.)

JESSICA:  How?

DAD:  Don’t worry about it. 
You want a couch like that?

JESSICA:  I want that couch.

DAD:  You’re not spending all
that money on a thirty dollar
couch.

JESSICA:  It’s not thirty dollars,
Dad.

DAD:  It’s all mark-up.  You pay
them five grand, they spend thirty
bucks, and the rest goes into
Johnny Fat Cat’s pockets.

JESSICA:  Who’s Johnny Fat Cat?

DAD:  The guy at the top.

JESSICA:  At the top of what?

DAD:  The chain.

JESSICA:  There’s a chain?

DAD:  A secret chain.

JESSICA:  If it’s a secret, how
do you know it exists?

DAD:  Don’t worry about it. 
Just trust your old man.

JESSICA:  I liked the bed set
we saw when we walked in.

DAD:  You liked that bed set?

JESSICA:  ...Yes.

DAD:  You liked that bed set?

JESSICA:  ...Yes.

DAD:  You liked that bed set?

JESSICA:  I...Yes.

DAD:  I got a friend who owns
a store over on Branch Ave--

JESSICA:  Here we go.

DAD:  He’s got a bed set just
like that one.  Won’t charge
you a thing.

JESSICA:  It’s just like that one?

DAD:  Yup.

JESSICA:  It’s just like that Italian
bed set made by one of the most
prominent furniture designers in
Europe?

DAD:  Yup.

JESSICA:  And he’s going to
give it to me for free?

DAD:  Yup.

JESSICA:  Why would he do that?

DAD:  Don’t worry about it.

JESSICA:  Dad, we’re here now.
I don’t want to go to Branch Ave
and get some bootleg bed set
when I can afford the real thing.

DAD:  But you don’t need to afford
anything.  That’s what I’m trying to
tell you.

JESSICA:  I know you don’t want
to hear this, but occasionally,
you do have to pay for things.

DAD:  Don’t talk like that.  You
trying to break my heart?

JESSICA:   I have money.

DAD:  It’s not about money.  It’s
about principle. They’re trying
to get you.

JESSICA:  Johnny Fat Cat
and the Chain of Crooks?

DAD:  Now, you’re paying
attention.

JESSICA:  What else does
your friend have at his store?

DAD:  Whatever you need,
he has.  You need a bed set?
He’s got it.  You need a
monkey wrench? He’s got it. 
You need a dalmatian? He’s
two, and a greyhound mix.

JESSICA:  What kind of store
is this?

DAD:  Don’t worry about it. 
He owes your old man a favor.

JESSICA:  Can I at least
buy a kitchen table while
I’m here?

DAD:  You’re going to spend
money on a kitchen table?

JESSICA:  Dad--

DAD:  You know how many
kitchen tables your grandfather
has in his basement?

JESSICA:  What?

DAD:  He’s got every kind of
kitchen table you can imagine. 
You can’t even walk in his
basement without hitting a
kitchen table.  I’ll take you
there right now. You don’t see
your grandfather enough
anyway.  He’s always asking
about you.

JESSICA:  I go see him at
least four times a week.  He
always thinks I’m Cousin Gina.

DAD:  The man’s ninety-eight
years old.  You can’t expect
him to remember more than
one grand kid.  You’re lucky he
remembers all the people he
hated growing up.

JESSICA:  Why would that
make me lucky?

DAD:  The point is--you’re not
spending perfectly good money
on a kitchen table when you
can get one that’s never even
been used.

JESSICA:  Grandpa’s basement
is the dirtiest place on earth, and
that’s where you want me to get
my kitchen table?

DAD:  Ohhhhh, you’re too good
to have a dirty kitchen table now?
  Well, excuse me, Princess Grace.

JESSICA:  I’m not leaving here
without a kitchen table.

DAD:  Why do you have to
make everything so complicated? 
Just let me build you a couch,
pick up a free bed set at my
friend’s store behind the old
candy warehouse, and pull
a kitchen table from 1947
out of your grandfather’s
basement.  We’re going to
have to clean it out eventually
anyway.

JESSICA:  Dad, why would grandpa
have multiple kitchen tables in his
basement?

DAD & JESSICA:  Don’t worry about it.

DAD:  Jessica, you’re getting older. 
You got a great job. You’re smart. 
Smarter than your old man.
You got a great partner.

JESSICA:  You’re talking about my
cat, aren’t you?

DAD:  I am.

JESSICA:  Okay, continue.

DAD:  There’s not much I can do
for you anymore, so just let me
help with this, okay?

(A beat.)

JESSICA:  Okay.

DAD:  Okay?

JESSICA:  Okay.

DAD:  Thank you.

JESSICA:  But we have to stop at
the market on the way home.  I
need ice cream.

(A beat.)

DAD:  You know, I know a guy who
can sell you ice cream out of his
car for a fraction of what--

JESSICA:  Dad.

DAD:  Sorry.  By the way, that guy
I saw leaving your house when I
picked you up--

JESSICA:  Don’t worry about it.

End of Play

No comments:

Post a Comment