Friday, July 5, 2019

By the Pool

She put me in a room
That faces
The pool

Not that I asked

Must have taken
A liking to me or something

Made her, made her…

Made her look up
From her People magazine

She gave me the key
And when I unlocked the door
I closed the window, because, uh--

I don’t have much luck
With pools

I don’t have…

I don’t have much luck with much
That’s--that’s probably more true

That’s…

I waited until everybody was--

I waited until it was late
Like three
Like after three maybe
And I, uh, I left my room, and--

I had just been sitting there
On the bed
Waiting

Figured--

There must be--

I spent a lot of time thinking
Thinking
While I was sitting there
And I, uh--

I figured--

There must be a reason
She put me by the pool

I walked out--

It was after three
But I could still hear
The motorcycles from that--

Why do they always put
Places like that
Right next
To rundown motels, huh?

The pool looked nice
Nobody was going to bother me
You couldn’t see
The pool from that bar anyway

I walked in
Into the pool
Pushed against the water
That extra push you need
Right when you get to the point
Where your head’s going to go under

Your body
Your--

It needs that little
Something extra

We were drunk
The night we went in the pool
At my uncle’s house
I was watching it
While he was in Pueblo Norova
For the weekend

She was fifteen
I was nineteen

Not bad back then
But not great now

Neither one of us
Should have been drinking
But...we were

She didn’t like the taste
But I kept joking with her
Getting her to have one more
And one more

I didn’t need to do that
She was sneaking kisses
All night
And the only reason I had
For wanting her drunk was--

It didn’t make any sense
Nothing does, though
Not when you’re young
And not when you’re looking back
At being young either

Just wanted to up my chances
And then I end up passing out
On a fucking--one of those--
Beach chairs
Pool chairs
And she keeps swimming
Until she hits her head
Until she--

We--I--

They think she hit her head
I--I don’t know what else

Back then I had a temper
But I don’t think I would...

And then just go to sleep

How could you sleep after that?

Anyway twenty years later
And I’m walking into a pool
Cursing god

Used to drive my mother nuts
When you took the lord’s name
When you--

You could drop all the ‘fucks’ you wanted
But you watch your mouth
If you’re talking about--

If you’re saying ‘Jesus Christ’
And not praying, you know, it’s--

Maybe that’s why
I’m walking in the deep end
Saying ‘Goddammit’

Saying it over and over again

Trying to get god nice and angry
So he’ll keep me under

Trying to push him hard enough
So he won’t let my head come up

Trying to stay down long enough
To see that girl’s face
At the bottom

Saying ‘It’s nice down here’
Saying ‘I forgive you’
Saying ‘No damnation necessary’

Just water and the past
Just water
Just water

Just...
Just...
Just…

Sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment