Monday, July 1, 2019

Tom Green

I tried to explain
Tom Green to my son

He found some clips on Youtube
And it was like
He dug up a time capsule
Of shit you’re really embarrassed of

He comes to me and goes--

‘What’s this shit?’

My son swears
I try to get him to cut it out
But he’s like--

‘You want me to do meth instead?’

So I just let him swear

He comes to me
And he’s got his laptop open
Which means I’m in for it
Because he’s got that
Prosecutorial look in his eye

Like, he’s about to nail my ass
With something

I thought, like--

Oh shit, did somebody finally
Put that video online
From Spring Break ‘98?

But it’s just Tom Green

That’s what I thought at first, like--

Ohhh, it’s just Tom Green

And then I realize--

Fuck

It’s Tom Green

How do I explain Tom Green
To someone who wasn’t, you know
There for Tom Green?

I mean, fuck
I was there for Tom Green
And even I don’t--

Explain Tom Green!

My son’s holding up
This laptop
And it’s got The Bum Bum Song on it
Remember that?
Remember that stupid fucking song?

Remember that some of us
Some of us
Not all of us
But some of us
Thought that was...funny?

I mean…

Jesus

My son is holding up
This laptop
And looking at me
And I’m looking at Tom Green
On the laptop
And I look at my son
My precious son
Who I love and cherish
And who I want to trust me
And admire me
And respect me
And I say--

I don’t know what that is

I claim
That I don’t know
What Tom Green is

Not who he is
But what he is

I play dumb
Even though--

And my kid doesn’t know--

My kid doesn’t know
That there is no way for me
Not to know
What Tom Green is

He knows his Dad
Wasn’t raised in a mole colony
So that alone should tell him--

But he doesn’t know
He doesn’t know
What Tom Green is

So he believes me

He’s like--

Oh yeah
My Dad wouldn’t know
Who this weirdo is

My Dad didn’t bother with weirdos
When he was my age
My Dad was cool
And only took in
The coolest parts
Of the culture

And I should feel bad

I should feel bad
For letting him think that, but--

As a parent
You kind of have to--

Pick the moments
When you don’t have any other choice
But to let your kid down
And, uh--

I wasn’t going to have that
Be one of those moments

I couldn’t, you know?

I just couldn’t

Do it

No comments:

Post a Comment