Friday, July 12, 2019

Nobody Ever Comes Looking

I took everything out of my bags
Once I got to the hotel

The person at the desk said
She’d never seen anybody
With so much luggage

I guess people just kind of
Float in and out
With enough to get them by
For a night

Same situation here
Just--

Just, you know
Different priorities

Different things
On my mind

I took out all the stuff
Every item
And I placed it
Around the motel room
And then I got
The best night’s sleep
I’ve had in awhile

Filled the place up
So you couldn’t see a wall
The floor
The door
The windows

I felt--

Safe

Like I did at my old apartment
Before they made me leave

Before they--

I used to have people over
Sometimes
Because--

Like, people who needed--

Who needed to feel safe
Like I did
Like I do
And--

Most of the time
Pretty much all of the time
They’d say to me--

Oh, I feel trapped

And I wouldn’t understand
I didn’t
Not until--

Later on I did, but--

Only because it’s like--

Whatever makes you feel good
Makes you feel good
Because it clicks in with you
And it won’t do that
With anyone else

That’s what I believe
Like, that’s my actual
For real
In real life
Belief system now

That what makes one person
All comfortable
And good
Makes somebody else’s skin crawl

Just how it is

I stole everything I had
In that apartment
And I didn’t feel one bit bad about it
Because that stuff clicked with me
The same way the feeling of keeping it
Clicked with me

And nobody ever missed any of it
Nobody ever came looking
Nobody ever called my name in the night
To see if I was behind a wall
Of my own making

I’d pick something up
That I knew
Was so valuable
This--this would happen
I would--
And--
The person--
Whoever it was near me--
Would just--
Sometimes--
They’d look at me and go--

Take it
You want it?
Take it

And then I’d put it down

I’d put it down and say--

No thank you

Because…

That’s not how it was meant to be

I wasn’t meant
To take things

I was meant to…

To…

To steal them

That’s a--

That’s how you know
You--

That’s how you deserve
The safety

Because you don’t look
For somebody
To give it to you

You take it from them
And you run

You run
Before they even
Know

It’s gone

No comments:

Post a Comment