Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Hope Street

I took the bike
Rode through downtown
Wanted to walk, but--

They have those bikes
Those new bikes
That you can just take
Well--you can’t just take ‘em
You have to pay for ‘em
But after you pay
You can just take ‘em
And you, you know
You borrow ‘em
That’s what you do

And I realized
I haven’t ridden a bike
Since I was, god
Maybe ten
Maybe eleven
But you never forget

That’s the nice thing
About bikes
And other things
From childhood
You--you just never forget

I forget all sorts of things
But that--I don’t, uh--

I went by your old school
On the bike
Tried to see in Ms. Brugel’s room
But, uh, I was going kind of fast
Too fast, probably
Probably too fast

Couldn’t see anything
Probably…

Probably for the best

Your father and I
Killed ourselves, you know
Getting a house like this
Right on Hope
So that, uh, you could--

So you could have
One of those Christmas special
Childhoods
That we didn’t get to have

We thought--or I thought
I don’t know what he thought
But, uh, I thought
It would make you always
Want to come home
And be home
And just, uh, really enjoy
Being here
With me
With the--

With the family

Never expected you
To run away so fast

Like you were…

Like you were running
The way…

The way some people run
From homes
That aren’t so nice

Maybe…

Maybe it wasn’t
As nice as I thought?

You’d tell me
Wouldn’t you?

If it…

If it wasn’t so nice?

If there were things
I forgot?

That I should have remembered?

I used to carry you
Around that backyard
When you were a baby
And you couldn’t sleep

Around and around we’d go
In circles
While your father slept upstairs

In the morning he’d say--

What were you thinking?
That yard isn’t fenced off
There’s no real protection
You think just because we live on Hope
Nothing bad is ever going to happen

But I didn’t think that

I knew
I knew enough to know
That bad things
Can happen anywhere
To anyone

But late at night
Holding you
In that yard
I knew no matter
What came out of the darkness
I could protect you from it

I could protect you
From anything

Because I was strong
I was so strong
You--you made me strong

And I never forgot that

That’s one thing
I could never

Forget

No comments:

Post a Comment