Saturday, July 13, 2019

What I Said I Saw

I said I saw her coming out
Because that’s what I believe

It’s not about what you see
That’s just something they make you say
When they’re trying to make their case

I believe she was coming out of that room
And that’s why I said it

Because I don’t put it past somebody like here
To do something like that

And not that he was an innocent
He wasn’t

Laying up there
In a filthy motel
With a woman like that

But nobody deserves to be killed
And just left there
Like they’re nothing

I saw her go in and out
I see them all do it

My apartment faces that motel
And the bar across the street
And that drugstore
Where all the junkies hang out
And if I could afford to move I would
But since I can’t
I try to keep an eye out
And I call the police whenever I can

And I saw that woman
Leaving the room
When that man was killed
And that’s what I believe
In my heart

You want to know something?
Something I won’t tell the police?

God talks to me
He does

He sees me as a beacon
An anchor for morality
In this world

So when I heard about the murder
I knew that was his way
Of telling me
I had to get that harlot
Off the streets
And into jail
Where she couldn’t spread anymore
Of her sin
To anymore people

That man was married
He had kids
He could have been a decent person
If she hadn’t tempted him

Not all of us are strong enough
To face the devil
And walk away

My sister was like that
Just like--

And what she did to my husband?

Lucky for him
He didn’t wind up in a motel room
With his pocket picked
And a knife in this throat but--

He could have
He certainly could have
If I didn’t--

Well, that was a long time ago

But I took care of it
I was a reckoning angel
On this earth

And just like I dealt with my sister
I dealt with that whore
Who thought she could do
Whatever she wanted
And not pay for it

Better everybody learn
That you pay for everything
In this world

Everything you take
Whether it belongs to somebody else or not
You’re still going to pay for it

I paid
I paid dearly
For every smile
I ever let cross my face

And she was going to get her smiles
The dirty way
And then take God’s most precious gift?

The gift of life?
And the commitment to a marriage?

I don’t think so

I hope she rots in that jail cell
I hope she rots there
Because a voice inside me
Deep inside me
Told me
That’s where she belongs
And I believed it

They ask you about what you saw
And some people think
They’re talking about your eyes
But I know they really mean your heart

And what I saw in my heart
Was murder
Pure and simple

Doesn’t get any clearer

Than that

No comments:

Post a Comment