Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Jennifer, 37, Nail Tech



He knew as soon as I met Paul
Soon as I met him
He knew
Little bell
Dinged in his head


That’s how men are
Soon as you meet another guy
They know


Hadn’t talked to him
In at least four years
Not a word
Not a text
Nothing


I say ‘Hello’ to Paul
And suddenly my phone goes off
It’s him


Wants to know
How I’m doing


But what he really wants to know is--


Did you meet another man?


And not just any man
No
The man
The man I’m going to be with


Because for awhile
He was the man I was gonna be with
And then he wasn’t
But that was okay
For him
Because men have this thing
Where they think
That somehow you’re still theirs
Even when you’re not anymore


And until another man comes along
And, you know, claims you
You’re still sort of their property


So what I had to let him know
Was that I belong to myself


That I belong to myself now
That I belonged to myself
When we were together
That I will belong to myself
Even when I marry Paul
Which I will
Because he looks like Chris Evans
And I’m not stupid


But I will continue to be mine
Even if the actual Chris Evans appears
And takes me away somewhere


I don’t belong to anybody
But me


And so his little caveman alarm
Can go off for the rest of his life
As far as I’m concerned
But it should have gone off
The minute he met me


Because there was no point
Where I wasn’t
Fully in control
Of myself
And my destiny
And that’s why the two of us
Didn’t work out
In the first place


The fact that this asshole
Didn’t think about me once
For four years
And then
With a new wife and everything
He’s suddenly all worked up
Because somebody
He thought he planted his flag in
Was about to move on from him
Is pitiful


Think about reaching out
After four years
For that reason


Can you?

I can’t


Men will never surprise you
Except for when you think
They’re not going to act like men


In twenty million years
When we’re all working with robots
And holograms
And flying cars are everywhere
Men are still going to be teleporting
To their ex’s house
To find out
If she’s got a new guy in her bed


They will not give up
That deep, spiritual, toxic cord they have
Tied all the way back to their ancestors
Even though they all had big foreheads
And got eaten by a T-Rex


Paul is no different
And I know that
But I make due
With what’s available to me
And what’s available to me now
Is a man who looks like Captain America
So, you know
You make due, don’t you?


You certainly do
You certainly do

No comments:

Post a Comment