Friday, July 26, 2019

Manton Avenue

Just took off
Got on a bus
Decided to be rich
Somewhere

Somewhere
That’s not here

Piece of work
And I’ve been saying it
I’ve been saying it
For years

Selfish

That’s what it is

You think I don’t want to
Get out of here?

I’ve been trying
To get out of here
Since I was a kid

Not that easy
Not easy
Not
No, not at all

Let me tell you

Cause you got people
We all got people
People who
People who are expecting us
To hold it together for them

You think he didn’t have people?

He just didn’t care
He just took off
Said things are crazy here
Things are crazy everywhere

And let me tell you something else

There’s no jobs anywhere
Nowhere good

Are there jobs in Alabama?
Maybe
You want to live in Alabama?
I fuckin’ don’t

Nobody does
That’s why there are jobs there

Place can’t be too bad here, right?
Otherwise we’d have all these open jobs
Lots of empty houses
For people to move into

It’d be a ghost town, right?

Keep saying
People are leaving
And I know people are leaving
I see ‘em leaving
But there’s still people
Everywhere you look

Just strangers is all
And that’s what bothers me

Used to be
I could go out
And walk down the street
And boom boom boom

This one you knew from school
This one’s cousin you knew
This one did your mother’s hair

All these people
You knew all your life
Just out walking around

Now it’s nothing like that

It’s strangers

Up the street
Down the street
And he’s taking off
Saying it’s crazy now

Hell yeah, it’s crazy

A woman rode by on a bike
And waved at me

Never seen her before
In my life

But maybe she’s having
A nice day
I don’t know

I waved back

Why wouldn’t I?

Nothing against her
She’s just a crazy lady
On a bike
Having a good day

Meanwhile I’m getting left behind
By the whole word
Far as I’m concerned

Nobody’s trying
To stay for me

Nobody gives a good
Goddamn about me
Now that’s the truth

When people care about you
They don’t take off
Just because things could be
A little bit better
In Alabama

Because they can buy more stuff
Live in a nicer place
Eat nicer food

If you care about somebody--

And I’m not talking about love
I’m not saying this
To be gay or anything
This is just me talking
I’ve had girls walk out on me too
Women
Everybody
Family
Everybody
You understand?

--And if you’re for somebody
You don’t do that to ‘em

If you’re really for ‘em
You know?

You know what that means?

A lot of people don’t

A lot of people think they do, but--

They don’t

No comments:

Post a Comment