Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely

There’s just no point
In getting this far in life
To sit in a condo by the beach
With nobody else
To enjoy it with

Not saying there aren’t people
Who have it worse

Lots of people
Millions

But I always assumed
That if I ever got this far
There’d be people around
When I got here

It’s not that I chased people away

Keeping anybody around
Just wasn’t on my mind very much
And I always thought
I didn’t need people

It’s crazy how you make
A decision like that
When you’re surrounded
By people

It’s like deciding if you’re going to eat again
After you’ve just had dinner

You won’t know about being lonely
Until you’re lonely

That’s how it works

And if you’re wondering
How it is
To be lonely by the beach
Let me tell you
It’s not like all those music videos
From the 90’s

It’s not sad in that pensive
Kind of way

It’s a deeper sort of sad
A sad where you get trapped in your head
And even though you have all this beauty in front of you
All you want to do
Is dig yourself down
Into the sand
And never come out again

I went online to one of those forums
And when I posted that
Somebody asked me
If I was thinking
Of hurting myself

That made me feel bad
Because I don’t want
Anybody worrying about me

I just want them
Keeping me company

The people in the forums aren’t bad
But for all I know
It could be one guy
With a frozen head in his freezer
Telling me all about
How he used to cure his loneliness
By turning the tv up so loud
His neighbors called the police

That made you feel like
There were people in your house?

No, but when the police came by
I’d invite ‘em to stay for awhile

If he’s a serial killer
At least he’s one of the charming ones

I got here
By saving up all my money
While my sister
Was pissing away hers

She used to say--

Why do I want to be rich
When I can have fun?

Never made sense to me
Until I got where I am now

And it’s not like I’m old
But I’m not young

And it’s not like I’m boring
But I’m not fun

My sister was fun
She was…

She was a lot of fun

She loved people
And she loved the beach

And she loved the Backstreet Boys

Those were the joys of her life

She had a lot of them
But those were the main ones

And she always made sure
I had a lot of fun
And that I was never alone
Even when I thought
I wanted to be

It’s a gift to have someone
Like that in your life

No matter how long
You have them for

It’s a gift

No comments:

Post a Comment