Friday, July 19, 2019

Thirty-Five

I was sitting next to a man
At the airport
Who told me
He’d just turned thirty-five

I wished him a happy birthday
And went back to the book I was reading
Something about a President
Not the current one
And a little girl who wrote him a letter
And it all ties together
In one of those strange ways
That people write books about

This was on the eve of me
Turning twenty-six
And while thirty-five wasn’t that far away
A part of me couldn’t imagine
Nine years into the future
Even a year seemed like
A ragged stretch

The man in the airport
Was tapping his foot
And checking his phone
And it occurred to me
That traveling on your birthday
Might be exciting
But traveling alone is tricky
Even under the best of circumstances
And traveling alone on your birthday
Could certainly give one
Too much to think about

I asked him if he was excited
To be going to Miami
And he told me
He’d be meeting
His daughter there

Your daughter?
I was nineteen
Wow
She’s…
I shouldn’t--
No, it’s--
I’m sorry
It’s fine

I did the math
And realized
That this person
Had another person
Who probably thought of him
As something he wasn’t

I had that too
But mine was a fiance
Who was about to lose
Any hope of a wedding

There was nothing to blame
But distance
And distraction
And while he fully expected me
To be arriving
With eight weeks
Worth of clothing and accessories
I had only my travel bag
And a ticket to return home to Houston
In two days time

The man--now thirty-five
Took out a notepad
And began writing something

I wasn’t trying to pry
But it was hard not to let my eyes wander
Partly because I was reading
Was as dry as a drawing room
And the man’s penmanship
Was dramatic
With flourishes
And hard dots
For every ‘i’

When the time came to board
The man took a deep breath
And I took the opportunity to assure him
That everything was going to be okay

I’m terrified of flying
I meant with your daughter
What about the flying?
For that I have Xanax

I gave him two
And he thanked me

His daughter’s name is Natalie
She’s an artist
She goes to a private academy in Miami
She moved there with her mother
She was seven at the time
He’s seen her five times since then
Her favorite movie is anything where a dog talks
Her favorite song is anything with an acoustic guitar
She painted her room blue then she painted it back
The first boy who kissed her was named Xavier
She doesn’t like boys
She never wants to drive
She wants to live in Austria
When she was nine she buzzed all her hair off
She’d like to do it again
She once called her father to tell him she hated him
She hung up before he answered
If she’s going to eat pizza, there has to be mushrooms on it
She doesn’t dance
She doesn’t sing--in front of others
She has an online shopping cart with four hundred items in it
She has seventeen unfinished diaries
She can’t commit to any project for longer than two weeks
She gets bored with herself, but not with others
Sometimes with others
She has a crush on one of her teachers
Well, two of her teachers
She one shoplifted some eye make-up
The guilt made her sick for three days
She wants to lose her virginity the night of graduation
She looks like her paternal grandmother
She has four best friends
She’ll lose one of them in a month
She hates lists of things
She loves kickball--really loves it

These are the thirty-five things
I think I know about his daughter
And I don’t know
If any of them are true

We boarded the plane
And I fixed my eyes on the window

Waiting for the world

To fall away

No comments:

Post a Comment