Wednesday, July 24, 2019

From the Bottom of My Broken Heart

My first boyfriend
Brought me to see Britney

He was so excited
And the whole time
He kept talking about
How hot she was
Which, like,
I had to have known
That he was gay
Because otherwise
Why would my boyfriend
Talking about how hot
Some woman is
Not make me angry?

It’s because I was, you know
So relieved
That we weren’t there
Just because he thought
She was fabulous

We were leaving the concert
And we were going to meet my parents
In front of the diner
On Alastair Street
Because my mom didn’t want to pick us up
Anywhere near the arena

So we’re standing in front of the diner
And there’s this other couple
A guy and a girl
From another school, I guess
Because I didn’t recognize them
And the guy’s looking at my boyfriend
And I’m looking at the guy
Looking at my boyfriend
And I just--

I was like--

Even then, I was like--

Ohhhhh

I know where this is going

But I don’t think the other girl knew
What was going on

I saw my boyfriend
Wanting to talk to this other guy
And I--you know
I don’t know why I did it
But I said to him--

Say hi

And he had this moment
Where--

You know, it was like
We both were transcending ourselves
And going forward in time
To a place where, like,
He was gay
And I’m miserable
And everything is just grand

And yeah
We haven’t talked
In forever
But in this moment
I’m thinking back
To that moment
When I knew enough to be like--

Here’s something
That can really help someone
Move forward
Towards who they’re supposed to be

You just--

You just have to say
It’s cool that this thing
This you-and-me moment
It’s, you know, it may be
Where we are
But it’s not
Where we’re going to wind up

So I said--

Say hi

And he did
And the other guy said ‘Hi’ back
And they started talking
And the other girlfriend was like--

What the hell is going on?

And I tried to, like, convey
With my eyes
Like--

Girl, the end is nigh

But it was just these two guys
Having a short conversation
And talking about
How their favorite song
Is From the Bottom of My Broken Heart
Which, like, if you didn’t know they were gay before
That definitely shook loose the etch-a-sketch, you know?

My mom showed up a few minutes later
Drove my boyfriend home
And on the way back
She turned on the radio
And that song came on
From the Bottom of My Broken Heart
And I remember smiling
Listening to it
And I thought--

How weird that I’m smiling
When this song is so sad
And, you know, so many things
Are so sad
But
I didn’t feel that way

I didn’t feel that way

At all

No comments:

Post a Comment