Monday, July 8, 2019

Daddy's in the Backyard

Your daddy’s in the backyard
Don’t bother him

Don’t you--

Let him do
Whatever it is
He’s doing
And when he’s done
Don’t ask him about it

Who do you think you are anyway?

You turned eighteen
And all of a sudden
I got to contend
With a smartass
Thinks she knows everything
Just cause now
I don’t have to pay her bills
Anymore

Let me tell you something, little girl

You clean all the rooms you want
At that shithole motel of yours
But that don’t teach you
Nothing about anything
And it don’t make you worldly
That’s for goddamn sure

I should have never
Let you get that job

Your uncle said you could work with him
At the bar
And I said, ‘No, no’
Because I didn’t want you
Getting your ass grabbed
Every five minutes
But you know what?

I should have let you
Learn a little something
About humility

About what happens
When you think
You can just mouth off
To any adult you want

Mouth off to one of those guys
At the bar
And see what happens to you

You’ll be coming home
With a ripped skirt
And a fat lip
Just like I did
For fifteen years
Before I hurt my back

Your daddy’s out there now
Trying to wrestle with something
And you want to go out
And talk to him
About something you heard?

About him walking out of some room
Looking funny?

Why do you think that’s your business?

You think I don’t know
Where he goes when he--

And it’s none of your business

People make all kinds of decisions in life
And I made a few before you were even born
About what I was going to expect from you
And your father
And myself

And I’ll tell you something
It wasn’t much
On any end

I don’t expect a damn thing
From anybody
And that’s how come I can sit here
And not cross my eyes with worry
That my little heart’s going to get broken
Just because it turns out
I don’t know any goddamn saints

You stopped trying to hold me up
A long time ago
And that’s just fine with me, little girl
But you’re still trying
To hold up that man out there
And he’s too heavy
For a hundred daughters to hold

But he thought maybe he could do it
Maybe he could live up
To your high standards
And that’s why he’s out there now
Face in the dirt
Crying like a fucking baby
Because you caught him
Acting like a man

Think about the shame you put on him
Your own father
And what’d you get out of it, huh?

Break yourself up
A little bit more
And him to
And I gotta spend god knows how long
Putting you all
Back together

And quite frankly
I’m sick of it
I really am

There ain’t a soul on this earth
Who hasn’t spent
A day or two
In the darkness
Just because they felt like it

And it ain’t the job
Of those who addicted to the light
To judge them for it

Me?

I never left the darkness
I stuck right down in it
And I’ve never wondered
What the other side looked like

Doesn’t mean I couldn’t raise you
How I was supposed to

But don’t you talk to me
About what anybody needs to do
To improve themselves, little girl

When you’re born good
You don’t get to tell somebody
How to be better

When you’re somebody like you
You don’t get to tell anybody

Anything

No comments:

Post a Comment