Sunday, July 7, 2019

Sunday Blood

I got a room early in the morning
Had to wake the girl up

She must have had a bedroom
Behind the office
Because she came out
Wearing a nightgown

I was still in my costume
But all she gave me
Was a raised eyebrow
And the keys to a room
On the second floor

As soon as I got through the door
I fell on the bed
And started to shake

It was like I’d been holding together
Until I knew
I could fall apart

Even glancing at the bedside clock
Felt like it happened
In slow motion

The clock said five fifty eight
On a Sunday

My joints felt like
They were going to snap
And the back of neck
Had a layer of sweat on it
That wouldn’t dry up

The pillows were cold
And they felt like aloe
Up against
The scar on my cheek

I hadn’t noticed
My feet throbbing
Until I stopped walking

Eleven miles from the spot
Where we performed
To the shabby motel
That looked sad enough
To die in

I bit my cheek
And wondered
Who was going to be
Wondering about me

Or who wasn’t

I wasn’t sure
Which one to hope for

Somehow even as exhausted as I was
I couldn’t get myself to sleep

Even after everything that happened
Something about Sunday’s
Meant being wide awake

There was no way
I could face
That broken sunlight
That finds its way
Into any place
Where it’s not welcome
So I pulled myself up
And inched slowly
Into the bathroom
Where I knew
The light would only send
Its last fragments

I sat down
On the gray tile
And tried not to hear the sound
Of the Midnight Trick

Two thousand people
All clapping
When I pushed my brother

And then that catch of breath
When they realized
Something was wrong

Somebody didn’t set the rope right
Somebody didn’t tie a knot
Somebody didn’t do their job
Somebody has blood on their hands

And I knew
It was Sunday blood

Because you don’t do a trick
At the beginning of a Sunday

We should have done it at eleven
Not given in
To the Vegas promoters
And the late-night crowds
Who weren’t going to make it
To church tomorrow

No way to explain to a brother
That you can’t give him a chance to apologize
That you can’t let him ask for a reason
That you can’t give him a reason
If he does ask

That sometimes
After a life of hearing
That he does the falls
Better than you do

That he sells it better
That he’s got more panache
More performance quality
More showmanship
More of everything
And nothing
That can be taught--

You see him reach for you
Knowing the net
Isn’t going to hold up
When he lands in it
And knowing that he’ll know
Long before that
Because you never miss him
When he grabs for you

He falls down
Into another day
And so did he die
And did you kill him
And how many rings
Around a sin
Before it makes it
Unforgivable?

There’s the applause
And then the catch
And then Sunday

The light marches into
The bathroom

And more of it gets in
Than you planned on

And there’s still

More coming

No comments:

Post a Comment